Wednesday, September 20, 2006

weekend update with m. dickerson








Well hmmmmm... what has been happening lately?!

Well, on Friday, it snowed, as is shown in my last entry. Then on Saturday, I was walking around on campus with my roommates and this odd feeling came over me. What was this feeling? Hmmm... it's something I haven't felt since I got to campus. Oh yes, it was hunger! What a foreign concept. So then I came back to the apartment and I decided to make rolls because th
ey sounded good without being totally without nutritional value. So I got out some ingredients and started mixing. Oil. Done. Water. Done. Egg. Done. Dried Powdered Milk. ... Dried Powdered Milk?! Who's ever heard of such a thing?! Well, I had heard of it before, but who's ever heard of a college student having such a thing on hand?!

So I sent one of my roommates on a frantic mission to the creamery two blocks away. (BYU has a creamery and then a "quasi-creamery" called the "Creamery on 9th". The Creamery on 9th is the one two blocks away. It's like a small grocery store, and it al
so sells all of BYU's dairy products: milk, ice cream, etc. I stood in the kitchen and pleaded with my yeasty bowl of roll dough, begging it not to go bad. (If such a thing is possible, I don't know- this whole cooking thing is new to me.) So she got back and I mixed in my 1/2 cup dried powdered milk and then left them to rise on the counter. Then we decided to go to the BYU women's volleyball game. My rolls were supposed to rise for two hours. Well, we were gone for 3.5. (BYU won though, so it was worth it...AND we got an ADORABLE picture of us with "Cosmo" the Cougar...)

As we raced up the stairs and down the hall into the kitchen, I saw my bowl of roll dough had overflowed its boundary and was creeping
across the kitchen counter. Lovely. So then I quickly tried to take the damp cloth off to roll them out and found the dough and the towel apparently hit it off while I was gone because I couldn't get them off each other. With some effort though, the dough was on the counter being rolled into a flat blob to be cut and formed into little balls to be put in the oven. Well, regardless of all unforeseen obstacles, my rolls prevailed quite scrumptious. Mmmmm.

(There are obviously pictures to mark the occasion.)

So then on Sunday, I had church and got a calling* in my new ward* in Sacrament Meeting. (See LDS Sunday Services for more information) I am the "Sunday School Secretary." Of course I am. Me and secretary work always seem to go to
gether. So I got called and everything. Every girl in my apartment has a calling... one is the chorister, one is the Relief Society* Secretary, one is the Family Home Evening* coordinator, and two are Visiting Teaching Supervisors*. (For any non-LDS readers, this might sound very strange. Proceed to bottom of page for explanations.)

So that was semi-exciting. Except I found out that because of my oh-so-important calling, I have to attend a Leadership Meeting this sunday at 7 am. 7 am! I haven't gotten up that early since... May! Oy.

Then on Monday, Amy and I got applications to sign up for tutoring in the Provo School District for elementary or middle school kids. So hopefully we'll be doing that for one hour a week- on Tuesdays. Should be fairly exciting. I'm hoping it'll be good- because we did the Helping Hands thing in Peer Advocacy my sophomore year, and even though it was only once a week for not very long, I really liked doing it. And I got this adorable card from the boy I was "tutoring" which really made the whole thing even better. I'm sure his teacher probably made him make it, but I still kept it.

So then on Monday night, the MOST EXCITING THING (since I got here) happened. To make (what could be) a very long story short, I was awakened by banging. Someone was just pounding on the back door that goes out to the fire escape that connects to a little entry-way that connects to our apartment. Because my room is the last one, it is on the corner of the building, and the door being banged on was about 2 feet down the wall from the wall right behind my bed in my bedroom. (follow that?) So... at first I thought of my mother's horror story of a roommate getting murdered while she was at school out here and got all freaked out and decided I wasn't going to let in some crazy molester psychopathic murderer. But then I thought maybe that person really needed me. But before I could do anything, I heard someone answer the door. Because all of my roommates were in the apartment in bed, I figured a girl from next door had gotten locked out and one of the girls from my apartment had gone to "save" her. I stood in the hallway to hear what was going on.

I hear the rescued girl being asked "Are you ok?" She says "yes." Then she's asked "Do you have a
key to get in?" She says "No." Then "Do you just want to sleep on our couch?". "Yes." So I expected them to come into our apartment so this girl could sleep on the couch in our kitchen, but they didn't come in. So I got back in bed and waited to hear. But they didn't come. I drifted off to sleep before anything happened.

Well, it turns out that the girl that got locked out and was crying miserably because of it was my apartment-mate Amy! She was rescued by a girl in the apartment
next door, and the couch I thought she was going to sleep on was in their apartment because the rescuer was not my roommate, but a girl from the apartment next door. (Their back door also connects to the same little entry-way). Ok, so now we know who was out there. But the question remains: Why was my roommate (who had gone to bed with the rest of us around midnight) outside, pounding to get in at 3:30 am?! Well, (drum roll...) she sleep-walked out of our apartment, our our back door, out the entry-way, onto the landing of the fire escape stairs. Then she woke up and realized where she was, and being cold and without a key, she began to cry and knocked on the door as hard as she could for someone to let her in. We were talking to her later and she said she's never done anything like that before... so she was just as scared as we were.

I was retelling this story to my older sister, who then said "That's kinda creepy because some night you'll wake up and she'll just be like standing at the foot of your bed!" I got all creeped out... I'm hoping that never happens. Erin said she had a roommate who sleep-walked and once her apartment-mate got her up to see this girl ballet dancing down their hallway. When they asked her what she was doing, she said "SHHHH! I'm in the middle of my performance and everyone's watching you! Get off the stage!!" They laughed at her and apparently had many similar, quite humorous encounters with their sleep-walking roommate. I suppose it's similar to being around drunk people. They say and do things they'd never do or say in real life, and then don't remember a bit o
f it in the morning. Odd...

Well anyway. So that was the excitement of the week. Then on Tuesday night we had a firedrill and I made blueberry muffin cake (because we still have no muffin pans) and then we went to a safety meeting to learn how to protect ourselves from all sorts of crimes on campus. I feel informed, so all you would-be criminals out there, watch out!

There's a BYU football game th
is weekend against one of our big rivals: Utah State. I'm hoping we win. This Friday night, my older sister has an employee party at the BYU bookstore. She's taking me because her husband will be out of town on a Scout camp-out. I've met the BYU Bookstore head-honcho man (her boss's boss's boss) two times already and he has offered me a job both times. Erin says not to be surprised if I leave that party with a part-time job at the bookstore. Mr. Head-Honcho told me he loves having my sister work for him and he'd love to keep it in the family and that I've got a job if I want one... we'll have to see if he continues his recruiting on Friday. I would like to have a part-time job just to keep myself busy and to have some money coming in, but I'm not sure how much stress I should get into right off the bat... besides the point that confronting shoplifters is a little intimidating to me.

And then, after the bookstore party, Erin is picking up my roommates and we're all going to Erin's house to have a pizza night and girly movie night. We're going to have an old-fashioned sleep-over and possibly stay up all night playing games and getting to know each other better. It'll be nice to have a change of scenery from cinderblock walls and weird multi-colored, typical hotel/office building carpet. And we'll get to have a real "bonding night" where we can get to know all the things that don't come out in regular conversation.. I'm looking forward to it.

So I think I'm about done updating for now. My English class went over "parallel structure" today and the teacher told me my definition was wrong, though I know it's not... which made me kind of annoyed, but I don't suppose it matters much. We're also required to write a restaurant review (the rough draft of which is due on Monday for peer edit) so my mom's taking me to Mimi's Cafe tomorrow for lunch. I went last summer and had a turkey/avacado sandwhich that I've been dreaming about ever since, so hopefully it will not disappoint.

It rained all day today- very dreary.


I only have one class tomorrow, and then it's FRIDAY! the week is half over!!!

Yesterday was my month anniversary of leaving home.

until again,
mollie

p.s.- the pictures are of the "heritage cup" which was just a big party for all who live in Heritage Halls housing, and then there are some pictures of my rolls, and then a couple pictures of Nichole with crazy hair- we call that the lion's mane. She had worn it crimpy and then brushed it so it was huge so we could all laugh at her... and laugh we did.

p.p.s.- I'm feeling much better! (o: being healthy is so underrated.

p.p.p.s.- someday I WILL learn to abridge my entries.


*VOCAB for NON-LDS readers...

*calling= the bishop of a ward asks members to volunteer in different service positions in the church (callings usually last 1-5 yrs, at which point you are "released" from one and get a new one.)
*bishop= clergy of our church- kind of like a priest, father, minister of other churches.
*ward= congregation
*Relief Society= the organization for women in the church ages 18 +. They plan activities for the women to get to know each other and just to have fun and all. They also coordinate
*Visiting Teaching= part of relief society. All the women in the relief society are asked to be visiting teachers and are called in pairs (companions) to go visit at least 2 women in the church individually. In their visit (once a month) they teach a lesson and then just check up to make sure everything's going well, and if it's not, they report issues to the Visiting Teaching Supervisors. Therefore
*Visiting Teaching Supervisors= women who are called to supervise a section of the visiting teaching program to make sure all the women in their section are visiting the people they're supposed to and all the women are being visited by their visiting teachers. Any issues reported to them are then reported to the Relief Society President who will bring them to the bishop if necessary.

No comments: