Thursday, March 29, 2007

"A Window to My Madness"

Hello everyone! It's time for my weekly blog post!

I'm in the SWKT computer lab waiting for my class at 11, and I sat down and took out my almond M+Ms for a little snack. Here I was, just munching away, when the kid sitting next to me turns and says "Mollie?" I'm thinking: "Uh-oh-- who do I know that could be sitting next to me right now?" I looked, and it was Arrian's friend Ryan! So he's trying to do homework and I'm trying not to disturb him, but what an odd coincidence! He suggested the title for this entry, so I used it. In case you're wondering...

So I feel kind of bad for gypping you all last week because I was lazy and didn't want to write. I'm feeling a little tired today also, but I felt like I couldn't leave you hanging for 14 whole days! So... here I am. To make up for my lack of posting last week, I copied and pasted a little bit from an email I wrote to someone. These are a couple stories I would have told last week if I had written. Enjoy!
<><><><>
So here's the story: I was playing with Will outside last week, and he picked something up and shoved it in his mouth. I would have thought it was just dirt, but then he said "Yummy" so I figured either it wasn't dirt, or it was some dirt tastier than anything I'd ever heard of, and therefore questionable. I went after him and he ran, so I had to scoop him up-- all kicking and screaming at me. I finally got my finger in his mouth and flicked something out, at which point he got very angry and clamped down on my left arm. Having only one hand to fend him off, I first sternly told him "William let go!" and he looked up at me, and paused for a minute, and then grinded (ground doesn't sound right...) his teeth back and forth with my arm in between them. It hurt like... a lot. What a punk! My sister says he knows not to bite, but he does it because this little girl who comes over to play with him bites him when she gets mad. So Will bites people like his unsuspecting Aunt Mollie.


Oh, and upon further inspection, the foreign object expelled from his mouth was someone's old piece of gum. Gross.

In other news, I began volunteering at another elementary school on Friday mornings, 8:30-10:30. (I also volunteer at a different elementary school on Tuesdays. This new one is for kids with disabilities.) So Sean should usually be driving me to this new school, but couldn't last week, so I had to walk. I had to get up at 7 and had to leave the apartment by 8 to be sure to get there on time. 8 am in college time is very early, just so you know.
So I walked into the room, school was just starting. There's this excited giggling and chattering and the next thing I know these 6 3rd graders were crowded around me eagerly looking up at me... I said hello (which I thought would be customary in such a situation) and this little girl didn't return my hello, but just excitedly asked "Are you wearing green?" -- I looked at her excited face; my eyes wandered down her arm to her hand at the end of it; she slowly opened and closed the jaws of her pointer finger and thumb-- and I thought, "Is this kid going to pinch me?!" I went eagerly searching, trying to think of anything I might possibly be wearing that was green and couldn't come up with anything. Just as these 6 kids were about to tackle me, and commence what was sure to be an unpleasant pinching session, I put my arms out and squeezed my eyes shut. As I braced myself for the attack, I heard the little girl say very matter-of-fact-ly "oh. yes you are. you have a green thing on your wrist." and turned with her posse and walked away. Wow- I guess the girl takes her st.patrick's day pinching rules very seriously- I was entirely convinced even if I was wearing something green, she'd pinch me anyway. I opened my eyes and looked down-- I apparently had a dark green hairband around my wrist-- which was really really lucky for me.

I guess I had forgotten the "pinch everyone who's not wearing green" rule-- and st.patrick's day wasn't even on friday, but these kids weren't about to let that minor detail stop them. I don't remember my elementary school experience being dotted with st. patrick's day pinches. Maybe Cromwell kids just didn't learn that whole pinching rule. Or maybe I just always wore green when I was little and never had to worry about it. I don't really know. But luckily I survived for another year-- and if I have any reason to be around elementary school kids next year at this time, I will remember to wear green-- the pinching threat this year was a little too traumatizing for me to forget.

Another highlight of the elementary school tutoring experience was when a kid told one of his friends that I was smarter than the calculator.
<><><><><>

OH! And... if I had written last week, I would have included a portion of my entry entitled "Battle Wounds" or perhaps "Scarred for Life" I couldn't decide which was better. But... let me explain. So for some odd reason over the last two weeks I have been consistenly injured by various objects in my environment. On my left forearm we have a scar (which is old) from the iron in our apartment. I brilliantly leaned over earlier this semester (or last semester?) while ironing a dress for church and burned the living daylights out of a small line of skin on my arm. Last week, when William bit me, he bit me in almost the exact same spot and has left what looks like will be a little scar. Wonderful. Then, for cleaning check last week, I was cleaning the bathroom floor and I went to my room after finishing and looked down and saw my right hand had 3 cuts on it. I apparently did not notice when I acquired these cuts, but there they were. Then, I was running will down to the car bryce was waiting in, and I helped him buckle him in. And then I ran back up the stairs to my apartment, and lo, there was another cut on my thumb. (This one is rather painfully obnoxious.) I managed to cut the cuticles of both of my ring fingers, which is also rather painful and rather obnoxious. I bashed my right wrist into something (I can't remember what... I guess this is why I should write posts every week and not put them off...) and gave myself a nice red bump and bruise. It was lovely.

So I have been having a rough time of it lately. Luckily it looks like my wounds will all heal just fine-- I think I'll live. (I know you were worried about my impending doom.)

What else can I tell you?! Katie and I have been having a good time with our social life. I think I might be having some people over for cake for the big 1-9 birthday that's coming up fairly soon.

In other news, Katie and I went to bed on Tuesday night to the sound of raindrops pelting all the surfaces outside our window. We woke up on Wednesday morning to see snow-covered treetops outside our window. Ummm... didn't someone tell Mother Nature that Spring officially started a week ago?!? Why is it snowing?!?! It was cold and yucky out, and I was a little annoyed with the snow-- it's supposed to be SPRING! It already mostly melted, but today it's just rainy and cold, and I don't like that one bit either. I guess this is just making up for all the warm days we had a couple weeks ago. Boo.

Well anyway. I can't think of much else to tell you all-- I feel like I had more stories all stored up for writing opportunities such as this, but I can't think of them! Did I tell you about the rotating swingset?!? (AH, I just remembered I got my right wrist injury from the rotating swingset!!) Well maybe I'll tell you about it the next time I write.

Anyway. So I think that's all for this week. I need to get back to my almond M+Ms. OH! Megan is coming this weekend for our birthday! How exciting!!! It's gonna be a fun weekend. I just have to write a paper and survive a Music 101 test.

until next week, or maybe sooner if the story-telling mood strikes me,
mollie

No comments: