
(good title, huh? Sorry-- couldn't think of anything else...)
Alright ladies and gentlemen,
Prepare yourselves for a new post from mollie. My life has been so busy lately that I have thought of a ton of posts, but haven't had time to write them, so we'll see what comes out now.
First of all, April 1st was my 20th birthday. 20! I'm so old! No longer a teenager! That's really strange. My birthday itself was really good- quiet and low-key and just right. I had class at 8 am though, so that wasn't so fun. Then work, then Erin and Kyle took me to my favorite Utah restaurant for lunch. Then I went to Erin's while she made me a cake. Then I went to my class at 4 and then Kent picked me up and took me to dinner and then over to my sister's for cake and presents. It was good!
The cake was soooo good- I wish my stomach didn't have a finite capacity. Then we came back to my apartment (Kent and I) and watched a movie-- 101 Dalmatians to be exact- because I didn't own it and got it for my birthday!On the Thursday after my birthday, I presented a poster at the Mary Lou Fulton Chair Conference of Mentored Learning. My psychology professor was encouraging us to enter, so we did. And then someone had to go pick up the poster and hang it up at our designated post at 7:30 am. I went and found our poster in a wad in the corner- it had "printed funny" so they told me to go see the Tech Guy in the SWKT. I did and he was very friendly and generous and saved our poster. (A 3' by 4' poster, printed in color, costs $65+, but he printed another one for free). I meant to bring him brownies or something, because his competence was mind-boggling in the realm of BYU students, but I forgot. Maybe there's still time? And fyi- the conference went well, and we got a free fancy lunch out of it, so it was good. (I tried to attach a PDF of the poster, but blogger won't let me. Maybe I'll get a picture up somehow- I feel like it needs to be seen by more than the nerdy people who went to the conference...)
To illustrate how surprising his ability was, let me recount to you a story of calling the housing office for work. Freshman Academy students must live in certain housing and someone asked me what specific floor. I didn't know. But I called housing to find out.
me- Hi I'm calling from the FA office- I was wondering if you could tell me what rooms in _____ Hall are for FA students?
her- *pause* I have no idea
me- *pause* well... is there someone you could ask
her- *disgusted sigh* well, let me put you on hold
....holding....

her- bye!
... wow... were we having a bad day or something? "I have no idea" oh, right, well if you don't know, i guess i'll never find out. thanks bye. (?!)
OH! and speaking of BYU student employee incompetence, someday I will tell you the story of a certain TA who has, on all accounts, floored me with her incompetence and lack of qualification for the job. But that's a long story that makes me beyond annoyed and frustrated, so I won't tell it now.
Moving on...

As for academic news, yesterday was my last official day as a sophomore! Finals start on Friday and as of next wednesday, I will be a junior! Holy cow where does the time go?! I have been writing papers like mad, but soon it will all be over and that's what matters. Here's a related story for you: Last thursday I had a rough draft of a paper due. Then yesterday we had the final draft due. I stayed up till almost 3 finishing it and finally emailed it to myself (to be printed the next morning) and went to bed. I went to campus and opened the email to print, and found my rough draft there- what the heck!? I was so annoyed- I had stayed up so late finishing the paper, and it was done, and now I had to stand in line and offer my excuse along with 3 other people who hadn't started their papers yet. So annoyed with myself. I tried to call my roommate and told her the name of the saved file. She found it on my computer, but it was the rough draft. Had I not saved the final copy?! I know I did! I remember doing it! Because I couldn't think of anything else, my roommate brought my computer to campus for me and I looked up the file under the name I remembered. There was the final draft, just sitting there ready to go. Why had it brought up my rough draft the last time I clicked on that file name? Weird! I emailed my professor and attached the final draft file name so she could see it was done. I told her I'd bring in a hard-copy later and thanked her for being so understanding.
I went to Erin's and opened the email to my professor that I had BCC-ed to myself. I opened the attachment to print so I could drop it off before my class at 4, and lo and behold- there was the ROUGH DRAFT AGAIN!!!! What the heck?! I was beyond confused and annoyed and frustrated with myself. I had turned in the rough draft to the professor this morning, explaining I emailed myself the wrong file, to show her I had something, then emailed her the WRONG ONE again?!
I ran (well, drove) home quickly, ran inside and opened up the computer. I opened the document and found the final draft. What the heck?! Why was the one file name sometimes opening the rough draft and sometimes opening the final?! And then I found the problem- I had saved two documents, one in a "My Documents folder" and one in "Sophomore year" folder, under the same name. But one was the final paper and one was the rough draft. And because I didn't know that before, and only knew the file name, I was sometimes clicking on the one in the My Documents folder and sometimes clicking on the one in the Sophomore year folder. Of course when it came to emailing, I apparently favored the "My Documents" folder because I never got it right. I finally emailed myself the right one, went to campus, ran to the computer lab, printed it, looked up my professor's office online and ran to turn it in before class at 4 (at this point it was like 3:50). I ran all the way across campus before realizing the office location I had looked up was actually the classroom our class was held in. So I had to look it up again and discovered her office is in the same building as my 4 o clock class-- if I had known that in the first place, I wouldn't have been 5 minutes late to my 4 o clock class. Oy. Oh well. But it was just so frustrating to know I had my paper done and to keep getting the rough draft somehow! So, finally, 7 hours after it was originally due, and 13 hours after it was originally finished, I got the thing turned in.
ANYway- that was long. Sorry.
I guess I'll be done for now. OH! Except for the fact that I was at Erin's on Saturday and she found out she passed the Utah Bar Exam!!! My sister's a lawyer! It was exciting because it meant she didn't have to re-study, which means this summer we can do whatever we want. And because I spent quite a bit of time babysitting so she could study, and it worked/paid off! Her swearing in thing is in May, which should be exciting. We went out to dinner to celebrate. :) (We pretty much only celebrate things with food...)
Well, have a lovely day everyone. I have no concrete plans for the day (it's a reading day) so I am going to do whatever I want and love it.
Hope you all are doing well,
-mollie
No comments:
Post a Comment