Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 21 of London: Cutting Corners around the Globe

Hello!

So today was our day trip to The (Reconstructed) Globe theatre, whic
h is just south of the Thames river in "downtown" London. We had to get up extra early, which was no fun, to head over there for our tour at 9:45. Our tour guide was fabulous and taught us a lot of things we didn't know about the Theatre. They were building the set for King Lear so we didn't get to see the stage/backstage etc, which was sad. But it was still a really cool theatre!

(We are returning to the Globe to see King Lear shortly.) After that, we (Hilary, Sara, Summer, Me) decided to go on one of the walks for our Walks Class. Upon further inspection of the walk, we decided that, because we had gotten lost on a previous walk, we had already seen half of the sites listed on this walk. So we only did the other half. We saw the church where Mother Goose is buried! We also saw the Port Authority building where the public executions took place back in the day. I think that was about it.


Then, because we still had about 1.5 hours before dinner, we decided to go find the Science Museum. We never did find it (the street signs in London are tricky that way) but we did end up at the Natural History Museum. The Natural History museum is HUMONGOUS. It's in this really old (or old-looking) Gothic buildin
g- similar to some of the pictures I posted of Cambridge. It is seriously humongous. I believe it was 3+ city blocks. It was huge. And you walk in and there's this huge dinosaur skeleton, and the whole scene reminded me quite a bit of Night at the Museum (the movie).

We saw the dinosaurs, then we saw the human biology, then the mammals. Then we came home for dinner.
We were all exhausted. I went in and had a piece of toast and when I sat down to eat it, my hair fell in front of me and got in my Nutella (on the toast of course) and it was gross. (this will be relevant later) Anyway- I don't know what we had for dinner tonight. Rice, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, olives, and this white sauce with chicken and green beans in it. Ok, so not one of my favorite dinners, but still good.

After dinner, I went and found Sister Benfell (the wife of my Shakespeare professor here) and asked if she wanted to cut my hair. (We had a conversation about her hair cutting a little while back.) The whole Nutella + Hair incident was more than I could take, and I've been wanting it chopped off for a while since it just seems like it's always in the way and such a hassle. She said she would. I went up to their flat and she cut my hair in their bathroom. ... It's short! I have a picture, but I'm debating whether or not to post it. She cut off something like 8" of hair...


People seem to think it's cute. I'm glad my long hair is gone, but some people have said they like it better that way. However, some people have been continuously telling me how much they like it better short, so I guess I won't worry about it one way or the other.

I'm so glad it's g
one!!

Anyway- Now I'm absolutely exhausted and need to get to bed because we are going to Stratford-upon-Avon tomorrow and seeing The Merchant of Venice.

until again,
mollie

p.s.- the pictures are of the Globe theatre, and then the Natural History Museum (in the second one, there is a freakishly life-like automated dinosaur behind us...), and my new hair...

2 comments:

Chad said...

Now you, Erin, mom and I will all have short hair.
~Megan (not Chad)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Didn't know you were a blogger. You should put up some advertisements (makes cash on the side) :P