Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shopping Spree

dear readers,

I got a pretty hefty pay check on Friday and was feeling excited about getting two things that I have been putting off while I was in school etc.: jean shorts, and new sneakers.
Since Erin is out of town and Megan is in Idaho, I was in Provo with nothing to do today. So I got up at the crack of 11 am (I went to bed late, ok?), got showered, got dressed, and headed out on my quest for my new jean shorts and sneakers. New shorts because I have none, and sneakers because mine are literally falling apart. I think I've had them for 4+ years.

Here is my day, documented and chronologized.

First stop: Gas Station on 800 E.
Because the gas gauge doesn't work in the car, I keep track of the mileage in a book. Last time I went to buy gas (a few days ago), I knew it was almost empty, but the pump shut off after 4 gallons. I went back today hoping to get more. It shut off at .93 gallons.
Gas: $2.15

Second stop: Ross- because I had seen shorts there about two months ago that I told myself I could wait to buy. It was apparently Hispanic day at Ross because the store was packed with people who did not speak English. I felt like I was in a foreign country, and this is MY country! Spanish is taking over America. In other news, the shorts were nowhere to be found, and they didn't even have anything I was interested in trying on. They had lots of shoes, and two pairs of sneakers that I picked out. After much deliberation, and consultation with megan, I decided on a pair of white Avias. I also talked myself out of buying a pair of white flats I liked that were $13.
New sneakers: $19.99 + tax = $21.36

Third stop: Old Navy
They had red capris for $10 that I liked, but I was afraid they made my legs look big, and also may have been really attention-drawing (being bright red and all). So no go. No jean shorts in my size. The store was packed with people because they were apparently having a $1 flip-flop sale. (Note: by the time I was there, only brown flip-flops in size 5 and 11 were on the shelf).

Fourth stop: TJ Maxx
After buying sneakers, I decided I could use a pair of sandles. And white flats. I can't wear flip-flops to the office, so I'm always wearing my red or black flats. And I swear my feet have recently grown because just in the last couple months I've noticed my big toes rubbing against the tops of both those pairs of shoes. What the heck?! (Note: I also bought my sneakers in size 9- my first shoes ever that size!) I need a pair of sandles to wear with jeans and stuff. Plenty of sandals at TJ Maxx but all more expensive than I was willing to pay. Tried on a pair of shorts that looked funny. No purchases.

Fifth stop: Famous Footwear
Again, plenty of shoes that were cute, but all at least $20. No thanks. Left this store quickly.

Sixth stop: Wal-mart
I used to have a pair of capris from Wal-mart that I really liked. I always feel a little self-conscious clothes shopping at Wal-mart, residue from long high school and middle school years, where no one was cool enough. But I gave up my pride today and went to see, realizing the worst thing people could think about me is that I'm smart enough to not spend $40, $30, or even $20 on a pair of shorts from the mall- but they had nothing I was interested in.

Seventh stop: Erin's House
Ok, Erin's house does not have anything for me to buy. But they have a bunny that apparently needed tending. I fed it, and took it out to let it run around the yard a little. I spooked it and I don't think it was happy with me. Poor thing.

Eighth stop: Gas station on Center Street.
After calling megan, who suggested I don't put the nozzle in so far, or I twist the pump a little, I went back to the gas station to try again. This time, it filled almost 10 gallons! Yay!
Gas: $23.88

Ninth stop: McDonalds
After getting gas, and walking around all day, I had a craving for french fries. I love french fries. It's a bad habit. I try to only have them a couple times a month. Today was one of those times. Mmmmm. Sometimes grease just tastes so good! It's so sad french fries aren't healthy!
Lunch- crispy chicken meal, with lemonade: $6.-- can't remember

Tenth stop: Home at about 4:30
All my running around made me tired. I came home and took a nap. At about 6:30, I was ready to try again.

Eleventh stop: K-Mart
I also owned a pair of capris from K-Mart that I really liked, so I thought I'd try my luck there. I did find a pair of jean shorts, but they were just like an inch too short. They hit about 1.5 inches above my knee and it just kind of looked funny. Sad, because I liked them. I also found a pair of jeans (not denim, so they're really light and thin) for $17. They were really comfy and on sale, so I bought them. I also found make-up, hand soap for the bathroom, and earrings because I don't have any plain silver ones I can just wear on a regular basis.
Jeans, make-up, soap, chocolate, earrings: $38.42

Twelfth stop: Macey's.
Quick trip in and out.
Milk, eggs, contact solution, breakfast foods, dinner foods, $40 cash back that I owe to Erin: $66.04

Thirteenth stop: Erin's house
Didn't want the bunny to go to bed hungry so I went over and put a handful of food in his bowl. I felt bad that I didn't have time to take him out and let him walk around a bit. I still think he doesn't like me.

Fourteenth stop: Home again

In Summary
Stores I went to:
Ross
Old Navy
Famous Footwear
TJ Maxx
Wal-Mart
K-Mart
McDonalds
Macey's

Stores I purchased things at:
Ross
K-Mart
Macey's
McDonalds

Things I set out to buy:
Jean shorts
Sneakers

Things I bought:
Sneakers
Jeans
Make-up
Candy bar
Hand soap
Earrings
Eggs
Waffles
Milk
Asst. Dinner Foods
Asst. Breakfast Foods
Contact Lens Solution
$40 cash back to give to Erin
Gas
Gas again
Total- 26 items

Money spent: about $157. Average price per item: $6

It's a good thing I only go on sprees like this 1-2 times a year. And it's also important to note that I only purchased things at 4 stores, and one of them was McDonalds. I went to 7. So, it could've been worse. Plus, I only spent about $60 on things I didn't need (total, minus food and gas), so it wasn't quite as bad as it seems. Also, I still don't have a pair of jean shorts.

So, the moral of the story is: do not let Mollie go shopping when she's bored. Also, it's a good thing Mollie has a job right now. Also, I need to create a budget. Also, as I said, it's a good thing this doesn't happen often.

until again,
mollie

1 comment:

Sean said...

You should have totally told me that you were going shopping! I would have so been there! Anyways, if you are still looking for jean shorts, I bet we could find a pair sometime.