hello all!
I have recently noticed that my latest entry was posted on December 9, which is more than a month ago! almost 40 days without an update from mollie?! how are you surviving?! Goodness, I'm surprised you all seem to be still alive... of course, apparently you don't care about MY survival, seeings how no one seemed to be alarmed at the fact that my blog lay idle for a month, and therefore, no updates on mollie happenings were getting through. therefore, how do you know there WERE any mollie happenings?! how do you know I didn't just die, or fall off the face of the earth?!
Well, before you get too upset, I didn't. (die or fall off the face of the earth.) [Note: if I HAD done either of those things, you would feel mighty special hearing from me right now...] Anyway. So I suppose the reason no one has mentioned anything about the lack of posts on my blog might be because the internet was not needed for mollie updates recently. BECAUSE I GOT TO GO HOME FOR CHRISTMAS! and see most of my dear blogspot readers (you), and update you in person.
Well, now I have returned to the land of the artic cold and the obscene hair poofs and have recently returned to my blogging habits as a way to keep you all informed. After all, we all knew the visit home was going to have to end sometime. It's a good thing I already had this blog in place to make up for my absence.
In case you haven't noticed, I'm in something of a sarcastic/hyper mood. What is the reason for this, you ask? Well... perhaps it's because I ate almost pure sugar for breakfast this morning. Perhaps it's because I stayed up until 2 am last night, and then had to get up at 7 am for a religion class (more on this later...). And maybe, just maybe, it is because of both of those things.
You might be catching on to the fact that it looks like this entry is going to be a long one, due to the fact that I have written a bunch of paragraphs so far, and haven't said anything worth saying. Well, such is your loss. I hope you have time for some good, wholesome reading-- or perhaps you'd like to come back when you have time to suck in all my rambling.
Ok. So back to my first item of business... I WENT HOME FOR CHRISTMAS ON DECEMBER 20th. I was very excited. All in all, home was home. Some things have changed, but that's to be expected I suppose. To copy from my TWIN, I'd like to make a list of things I'D forgotten about home. But before I do that... because I went home for christmas, you must be realizing that that must mean a semester of my freshman year is now behind me. I am no longer one of the newest students on campus! Anyway, so with a semester having ended, that means some classes have ended... which means that I have much knowledge to impart to you.
Things I Learned During My First Semester at BYU- from personal and/or roommate experience
1) wearing new shoes on the first day of school is a bad idea
2) the bathrooms on campus have couches-- specifically (and exclusively) for nursing mothers.
3)using the phrase "a friend from church", or "at my church" when speaking to other people will make you sound stupid
4) Other people (a.k.a roommates) eat weird things/ do weird things.
5) Student Development is the biggest waste of time ever
6) The JFSB (Joseph F. Smith Building) is NOT the same as the JSB (Joseph Smith Building)
7) There are no classes being held in the JKHB, regardless of what your schedule says
8) one should NOT freeze Martinelli's Sparkling Cider-- unless one wants to lick it off the ceiling upon opening. (personal experience)
9) The "guest bathroom" in the basement is where you go when you're out of toilet paper
10) attending the "true blue football game" will cause chronic blue-ness.
11) most older people think the "true blue football game" is worth avoiding
12) the blue tint is therefore like wearing a big blue freshman "L" on your forehead
*NOTE: #10-12 are jokes- not meant to be taken seriously-- as a matter of fact, probably none of these should be taken seriously!
13) hobo spiders CAN make it up three flights of stairs
14) ramen noodles do not taste good if eaten for three consecutive meals
15) hot pockets do not taste good if eaten for three consecutive meals
16) ice cream will always taste good- even if eaten for three consecutive meals
17) nothing should be eaten for three consecutive meals
18) if you buy rainbow chip frosting, it will be eaten by ashley burton before you open it.
19) boys throwing basketballs at your window at 2 am are NOT worth meeting
20) even when it doesn't seem hot, sunscreen should be applied when attending a football game
21) boys do not know how to change shirts in public without showing any skin. (I had to teach a c ouple... of boys, not "couple" as a noun... that'd be weird)
22) catching a boyfriend in the first week of school is not something to be proud of (roommate experience)
23) when the stairs are slippery, always hold on to the handrail (roommate experience)
24) only 1 article of BYU apparel should be worn at a time to maintain cool-ness
25) BYU Creamery offers a kids' meal for $2.79- cheeseburger, fries, drink, and ice cream.
26) The BYU kids' meal should not be eaten more than once a month
27) buying strawberry yogurt is not the same thing as "buying fruit"
28) one should not allow roommates to write embarrassing things on papers or whiteboards posted in public places when one is expecting a cute boy to visit (personal experience-- unfortunately)
29) bringing a box of fortune cookies is apparently a legitimate dish (to some members of our ward) to contribute to a potluck dinner
30) one should NOT fraternize with the bishopric, or any of their sons-- lest they be wishing for a chance to speak in church (unfortunately, personal experience again)
31) when registering for classes, beware of sections that only have 3 people in them, while all other sections of the class are full.
32) when attending a volleyball game, do not purchase a massive otter pop for $1 thinking it's a great deal. 1/2 of it leaks and dribbles down your arm, and the other 1/2 will get thrown away because you're too impatient to wait for it to melt-- $1 for nothing but sticky hands. (personal experience)
33) when being seen in public with your 18 month old nephew, always identify him as NOT yours
34) never use the orange flags to cross six lanes of traffic.
35) BYU's website is crappy
36) Not attending BYU devotional is seen (by some) as your ticket to hell
37) Typing the word "hell" on an online blog, is seen (by some) as your confirmation of your ticket to hell.
38) watching BYU beat the U of U in football (or any sport) will always be exciting, regardless of how much or how little you know about the rivalry or the sport.
39) wearing a BYU sweatshirt on U of U campus the weekend before the big rivalry game is not a good idea
40) there is a reason that "tony's pizzas" are only 99 cents each
41) 8 people CAN be fit into a dodge neon, as long as one person doesn't mind riding in the trunk
42) boys like food
43) dishes/spoons/forks/knives really do sprout legs and walk away-- and end up in strange places.
44) the peep-hole in the apartment's front door is there for a reason- always use it
45) when doing laundry, one should always lean over to look into the front-loading washing machine. socks and underwear tend to need to be peeled off the sides (which you can't see if you're just standing there...) Therefore, frequent washing-machine-checking will prevent any awkward clothing exchanges or accidental adoptions.
46) BYU is it's own little world- one should never mistake it with "the real world" and only those who have experienced it will know what you're talking about when you say BYU is it's own little world.
Ok... well, I can't think of too many more things to add to my list, so that will have to do for now. Anyway. I hope that was fairly enlightening. (: I know my second semester started about two weeks ago, but I thought I had to post the list... better late than never!
I have to update about christmas and post some pictures (and my "things-I'd-forgotten-about-home" list), and then I'll move on to more current updates and pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to get you all up to speed by the end of the week. Lots has been happening around here!!!
Hope you all are enjoying your mid-january-ness. Hope your new years' resolutions haven't worn off yet. I am always successful in keeping my new years' resolutions... you know how I do it? I don't make one! It seems to work out pretty well. Don't get me wrong, I make goals- I just don't disguise them under the scary title "New Years' Resolution"... that makes them seem much more intimidating.
Until I update again,
Mollie
No comments:
Post a Comment