ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, gather 'round for the next new and exciting chapter of my life...
so i'm mostly just writing (no, i don't feel like capitalizing my Is. It's my blog. and my pinky is lazy.) because I'm avoiding other things to do. Well, not necessarily other things i need to do, but other things i should be doing.
i am currently sitting in the basement of the SWKT because i just got out of class at 6. i've been on campus since 7:50 am. AM. and then at 6:15 i get an email saying my psychology group wants to meet at 9 pm. ... fabulous.
so anyway. back to the post. i guess i'll start with the pictures in the old update.
~ the first couple pictures of my hand are a result of an outing with kent. this was quite a long time ago. we went to this rec. center that had all sorts of things: pool, racquetball courts, rock climbing, basketball, ice skating, gym things, etc. well, we were standing in the gym with the other people that went and kent picked up a medicine ball. wondering how much it weighed, i asked him. and he, instead of just telling me, threw it at me. It weighed 25 lbs and as much as i like to pretend i'm not a stereotypically weak female, i am a stereotypically weak female and i tried to catch it, but it pinched my finger between it and my knee and [the ball] fell to the ground. my finger hurt but i didn't think anything of it, until i looked down and thought it was bleeding. so we stopped. and, the camera doesn't focus on it for some reason, but the red spot is a series of tiny little raised red dots. it's kind of weird. like someone took a red ball point pen and just drew on me for a while. it hurt a lot. my knee developed a lovely purple-ish brown bruise which was, admittedly, one of the coolest looking bruises i've ever received. And just so you know, kent was very apologetic, and he brought me a get-well card and ice cream a couple days later when i still hadn't healed. it stayed on my finger that way for a couple weeks until i had a dream that i (gross, i know) peeled it off. and then the next day i did. (even grosser.)
~i think the next pictures are of the dress. i got a new dress! My roommate Katie's mother sent her some clothes in the mail that she got on clearance and this dress happened to be included. It didn't fit katie, so she said i could try it on, and when it fit, she said i could keep it. A free dress. With polka dots. It was seriously my lucky day. I couldn't bring myself to take it off and i finished my laundry in the basement of my building wearing it at 11 pm. a polka dotted dress. seriously. and i usually avoid halter-top style dresses at all costs, but i have to say this one worked out. Seriously. A free polka dotted dress. One of the best things ever
~pictures of me and ashley (my roommate from last year). Ashley and I have been trying to catch up with each other for a while now and finally a couple weekends ago, we made plans. I walked to her apartment (fine I'll capitalize. It's bugging me.) and we caught up and talked for quite a while (we're quite good at that...) and then watched a movie. It was fun-- I miss her! Old friends are great things.
Alright, that addresses all the pictures-- now I'm just going to offer random tidbits from the time of my last substantial post and now.
~I went to Rexburg to visit Megan. Mom was here and wanted to drive the car up to Megan, so I went with her. Our cousin Liz came along and we made a weekend out of it. We saw Megan play in a Sousa concert on Friday night and then went out to Frontier Pies (my first time. and they didn't have the pie I wanted so...) Anyway. I went to the bathroom and was on my way back to the table when I rounded the corner and practically ran into a group of guys wearing suits (not an oddity in Utah/Idaho-- they're probably Mormon). One of them looked at me and gave me a two hand-gun salute and said "Hey Miss Dickerson!" all friendly-like. Not knowing what to do, or how to explain that I wasn't actually her, I quickly said hello and slid around the corner and told my sister to go talk to them lest they think she's rude. (Now that I think about it, I was wearing her clothes...) She took me back around the corner with her and these guys are like "Oh my gosh there's two of you!" ... That's one of Megan's and my favorite parts of having each other visit-- showing each other off like a freak-show. Awww. (p.s.- Megan and Mom took pictures at this event, but I don't have any. Sorry)
~On the Saturday of our visit, Megan was in a recording session for the day so Mom, Liz and I headed off to the Museum of Idaho to see their Egyptian exhibit (after waking up to driving snow... Provo was 50 degrees that day...). We drove all the way up there, and we were about 500 feet away from the museum. All we had to do was cross train tracks. Well, of course the crossing guard went down and a train came and we were stuck there. We waited for about 40 minutes and then just turned around, drove down the road, crossed at the end of the train, and made our way back to the museum.
~ (I'm trying to write my post in convenient increments. Be happy.) In this museum, there was a sign that said "No food/drink" at the door. Mom and Liz and I were walking around and noticed this old volunteer guy following us. I stopped to look at a statue when I saw this thing out of the corner of my eye and turned to meet the gaze of the old man about 8" from my face. Trying not to jump back in surprise, I offered a nervous smile and said "Hello" to which he responded "Are you chewing gum?" I had no idea what he was getting at and hesitantly said yes (thinking... "They sell it at the store-- you can get your own..."). Without saying a word, and without moving back or releasing me from our staring contest, his arm moves and he's got a tissue-paper bag thing that he has pulled up to my chin. I look down and see a colorful assortment of slimy wads of gum. I look at him and then look back at the bag and realize I'm supposed to be doing something. "Oh. OH." I say and then I awkwardly fumbled the gum out of my mouth into his little bag and he walked away without a word. There were no signs about gum-chewing. I am a gum chewer (sometimes-- when my jaw doesn't hurt-- which has been happening more frequently lately.) But I am also an obedient rule follower. I don't like getting in trouble, especially not in public. I would have spit my gum out if I had seen a "No gum" sign-- or I at least would have tried to conceal it better. That's a first- I've never been asked my a complete stranger to spit my gum into their personal bag of gum collection. Apparently volunteers at the Museum of Idaho don't have much to do... (p.s.- I could understand a little more if I was a kid with ice cream or a lollipop or something or even a piece of gum. But I'm clearly not a kid under the age of 12-- you'd think I could be trusted not to stick my gum on their glass display cases...)
~ I was walking through campus the other day and saw a girl wearing the same shoes I have-- my favorite red ones. She was also wearing the same coat I have. (I wasn't wearing the shoes or coat at the time.) She was on the phone, but I stopped for half a second and contemplated talking to her. I bet we could have been good friends.
~ A while ago, Sean took me out to dinner and then we went to the BYU Orchestra concert. It was a lot of fun. I love those kinds of things. And we got dressed up, which was fun too.
~I recently heard that due to the expenses involved in my London trip, I will not be coming home this summer unless for some unforeseen emergency, etc. Sad. :(
~My boss said they'd be willing to hire me full-time for Spring semester, which is part of why I'm staying here. 40 hours a week at $8.25/hr. That's better than most things out here.
~I love my job. I had a 20 minute phone call from a lovely man somewhere in Utah (from the Area Code.) He was very nice and understanding and I felt all knowledgeable.
~My co-peer mentor from last semester got called on a mission! What will I do without her?! She taught me all I know! :P
~Spring is the time of engagements and weddings in Utah. There're 6 couples in my ward/at work and 2 that I know of who were friends from last year who are getting married. There's something in the air...
~I am getting bored of updating and really wish I didn't have to be on campus until 10 pm and then walk home...
~I believe I wrote about my English paper that I got a 92 on, and how excited I was because if I really tried I could do really well. Well, knowing that I need (well, I don't need to) to raise my GPA by .01 this semester, I decided to give the next one my best shot. I wrote it in advance and then edited it, and then edited it again. I thought it was pretty solid, and I thought it was way better than the first one. Got it back today. Got an 87. What the?! ... This used to happen in high school- I'd spend forever on an essay and turn it in and get a lower grade than when I skipped lunch to write it in the library the hour before it was due. Boo. Talk about discouraging. How is one supposed to conquer procrastination if doing things in advance gets worse results?!
~I think this is going to be one of my longest posts ever.
~I found a place to live for next year! It's a condo-- it has a living room w/fireplace, kitchen/dining room, 2 bathrooms, laundry room, and 4 private bedrooms. It's a 5 minute walk up to campus, which beats the 15 minutes I walk now. It's S of campus though, which means there's less stuff around (restaurants, etc.) but oh well. I'm thinking it will be a good change and I'm excited. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. (p.s.- housing at BYU is a royal rip-off.)
~I still think Glenwood stinks. I'm learning to come to terms with it though and I think it's a little less awful. It will still be a joyous occasion when I move out.
~My eyes are droopy and I want to take a nap. It is cruel and unusual punishment to have to spend 14 hours on campus in one day.
~There are only 4 more weeks in the semester!
~I did not wear green on St. Patrick's Day. Well, that's not true. I wore green underwear I guess...
~Pie day was on Friday this year! That's not going to happy for another 6 years or something! People here had no idea what I was talking about and I wondered what kind of deprived growing up they had. One of the benefits of growing up in a small town I guess. I was at work and then went to the CougarEat to buy a pie, which I ate at 1:59. And then Sean called and we went out for pie at 10 pm or so. It was quite yummy. Oh Pi Day.
~Kent took me to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat a while ago. I'd never seen it, but I still have some of the music in my head. It was good. I love plays! And I was telling this to Erin and Kent, but I think I almost like the low-budget community theater better. Professional theater is great and I love it, but community theater is just more... unpredictable. In this production, they had a children's choir and there was this little boy (one of two boys surrounded by like 12 girls) who sat on the front step playing with his sleeves and looking generally unenthused about the performance happening on stage. He sang about 1 in 5 words to the songs and at one point he rested his head on his hands and drifted off to sleep. I think there were times when I had more fun watching him than the actual stage activity. You miss out on that in professional drama.
~I went to my co-worker's Junior flute recital. It was wonderful and she played amazingly well and it made me wish I still played a lot.
~Going to the play and the recital (in the same night) made me really long for my high school days of drama and flute. I miss being in plays and I miss playing/auditioning on flute. (Well, not so much the auditioning part... that was scary I guess...) But I miss it. Sad.
~It's only 7:20-- I still have more than an hour to wait.
~I just realized I haven't eaten a real meal all day, except for two slices of pizza at Erin's. I guess that counts.
~I babysat for Erin today while she went to a meeting. Sawyer cried pretty much the whole time but Will was pretty good for the most part. He cleaned up his toys and then we sat at the table and played PlayDoh together and then we had snacktime. He told me his mommy was going to the store to buy him HotWheels. (He was wrong-- Erin says he's been on a HotWheels craze lately). By the time Erin got home, he was getting kind of wild and insisted on running at me with his tongue out and putting it on whatever was closest to his mouth (i.e.- my shoe, my leg, my arm, my forehead.) It was kind of gross. And then we wiped his nose on my arm, which I didn't notice until I went to my Study Abroad Prep class tonight and crossed my arms and felt something gross and looked down and saw a crusty streak of Will-gook across my arm which had dried a lovely dark green. I scraped it off and hoped no one noticed. One of the grossest things ever. Seriously.
~I'm running out of random things to say.
~If I can help it, I will never take 18 credits (BYU's max) and work 10 hrs a week during the same semester again. I might just keel over.
~A couple weeks ago, I turned in a paper 2 minutes before the deadline. I like to procrastinate, but that almost gave me a heart-attack. I will also never do that again.
~I hope I haven't bored you to death.
My life really isn't all that interesting-- that's the problem. But, I try to update every once in a while so you can get a general idea of how things are going, but I don't want to be so general that it's like "yeah, I'm good. the end" so I try to give specifics. Which is why my entries get so long. And plus I type fast, so I forget how long it gets. Anyway. Not important. Just sayin'.
That's all for today,
-mollie
p.s.- I get to change my blog now that St. Patrick's Day is over!! Hurrah!! I was really beginning to dislike the green.
No comments:
Post a Comment