Saturday, August 15, 2009

What the heck?!

I can write this because she doesn't know my name yet.

So, my landlord scheduled a cleaning check for Friday at 2. The problem with cleaning check when all your roommates are moving out?? The apartment is a mess, and the sheet says "If you're the last person in the apartment, you are responsible for the cleanliness of the whole apartment." So, I spent 7 hours cleaning on Thursday night.

I got home on Friday to a note that had a list of things the landlord wanted redone. I spent 2 more hours cleaning, with a couple of my roommates who came back to vacuum their rooms. I was told the landlord was coming back today to check that these jobs had been done.

I wanted to move to another bedroom in the apartment because it has a bigger closet, and a window that I can actually open (right now I have a window, but the view is of my neighbor's bedroom about 4 feet away over a sidewalk. So, it doesn't stay open much, and I need sunlight.)

I woke up today, expecting to have the apartment to myself for a few days because the contracts do not start until August 20-something. At least, when I was trying to move in last year, I was told I had to wait until August 26-ish. I showered, and was preparing myself to move to the other bedroom after the landlord showed up to check it. There was a knock on the door. Perfect timing. She'll check it, I can move.

No, it was my new roommate. A woman who came and introduced herself in... May? And said she was 33/34 and that I was "so young". I wanted to say "No, you're just old." Seriously? What is a 33 yr old woman doing living in single student housing at BYU and attending BYU student wards- really?! You've outgrown the single life lady- you should move on and realize you're probably not going to meet your "eternal companion" living in a housing complex whose average age is about 22.

Anyway. So new roommate came in (she has a name I can't pronounce- from Fiji) and asked which rooms were available. I said "There's three that are available, but I was going to move into the back one. The landlord said people weren't moving in for a few days, and she needed to come back and do a cleaning check on that room, so I was waiting." She walked into it and said "Well, I think I'm going to take this one. Is that ok?" ... is that ok? You just heard me say I've been waiting to move in there because the landlord said she had to do a cleaning check. Not to mention the fact that I've been living here for a year. I look at her like "Are you serious?"

And she says "I'm going to be working on my Master's degree. So I need this room. I need the privacy [it's at the end of the hall, and uh... they're ALL private rooms]. So I'm taking this one."

OH. NO. SHE. DIDN'T. She just pulled the "I'm older than you and my degree is more important than yours" card!?!?!

Seriously. She's getting her Master's degree in Social Work- which was a program I was looking to apply to, but my first interactions with her make me want to get as far away as possible. I MISS MY ASIAN ROOMMATES!!!!

And right now I am really hating my landlord for being such a jerk. SO FRUSTRATED.

So the moral of the story is, Mollie gets the short end of the stick AGAIN.

I am more than a little bit frustrated right now.

-mollie




1 comment:

Megan Busath said...

you should move your stuff into that room anyway if she didn't move anything in. or you should move it anyway, and move hers out and say you had to pay extra for that room so you are taking it.

p.s. anyone over 29 can't live in single student housing at byu-i. just sayin'. ... maybe there's a similar rule at byu?