Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Random Finals Week Thoughts

I now present to you a list of facts, in order of my reading them, about a variety of random school-related issues. These are all thanks to the much much reading [261 pages of empirical research journals in the last two days!] I'm doing to try and write a paper due next week before my Christmas break can start. I will be adding to the list throughout the night/week, I'm sure.

But to start, here's the first one I couldn't keep to myself:

- Every day, 13 children die from gun violence, 30 are wounded, 202 are arrested for drug offenses, 307 are arrested for violent crimes, 1304 teenagers have babies, 2255 teenagers drop out of high school, and 5703 are victims of violent crime.

... and if that doesn't give you a happy cheery outlook on the world and the future, I don't know what will.


Others:

-17% of almost 250 school psychologists (surveyed in 2007) reported dealing directly with school shootings.They also reported a combined 550 crises (school violence/shootings, student/staff death, etc.) affecting their schools over their career (which was on average 19 years), meaning about 1 every 10 years.
-I don't think articles should use the phrase "successful suicide"- just saying.
-1/3 of children reported they feel unsafe at school.
-In another article, 55% of students surveyed said they know weapons are present in their schools.

No comments: