hello dear blog readers!
So I promised I would write soon, and here I am-- probably not as soon as I had planned, but nonetheless...
So my first item of real business for this official entry of the day, is to say hello to Nichole, and welcome her to the ranks of my blogspot readers. Nichole is our dear roommate who is now home in brigham city, and she promised she'd read my updates on here, so I'm sure she's been anxiously awaiting this post (;
Anyway. So... for the past few days, I have been on an eating rampage. I'm not really sure why- I think it's a boredom thing. Except... last semester I didn't eat when I was bored, so I don't really know why I'm doing it now. Either way, it is an annoying habit that I am hoping does not persist much longer. You see, I went grocery shopping on monday, because I got my weekly allotment of $30. And then I ate "out" on monday and wednesday. In addition to those regular meals resulting from trips to the Cougareat, my week has been filled with spontaneous vending-machine hopping.
To illustrate the severity of the problem: I got up early on wednesday to have time to eat breakfast at my apartment so I wouldn't be hungry on campus. Brilliant, I know. The planning is stunning. It worked-- until Katie invited me to meet her at the Cougareat, so I had a bowl of soup. And then I walked to the building that housed my next class (the SWKT) and found the vending machines were alive and well again, and had been returned to their "card-accepting" state. Hmmm. It accepts cards again, does it? Then I'm going to buy something gosh darnit! So I bought myself a little dessert- an ice cream snickers bar. It was yummy.
I went to my class, and then went to the JFSB for my next class, which was an hour from the time I got there. I was bored. I walked down the hall. MMM vending machines! The perfect cure for my case of the munchies! So the only problem here was that they (the vending machines) were mainly empty. I had this craving for Harvest Cheddar SunChips, but there were none. The only thing they had was Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips. I don't even like REGULAR potato chips, so why I proceeded to swipe my card and punch in the code for those reject potato chips is beyond me. Obviously no one else liked them either, considering they were the only kind left. But by golly, I was going to HAVE my chips! So I suffered through the experience of eating every last crumb, took a trip to the drinking fountain, and then decided "Well, obviously I need something sweet to counteract that unfortunate spud experience." So back I meandered to the vending machine, where I proceeded to purchase my third snack of the day: swedish fish. Luckily, I love swedish fish.
Anyway. The point is, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I feel like I've been eating non-stop for the past week! However, I DID make myself real meals for dinner twice this week. You should be impressed. I don't know- maybe it was just my guilt kicking in after having spent my days on campus snacking. But hopefully the good, nutritional benefits of eating real food were not lost.
Next item of business- my first intramurals basketball game. I had heard Larissa (who lives on the main floor and is the cousin of the Wades in the Hartford, CT stake) had started a team and was looking for players. So I went down and told her I didn't play very well, but that I was interested in participating. She enthusiastically signed me up, and I went on my way. And then we met again for the game last night. Larissa couldn't make it, so it was me, Kayla (Larissa's roommate), Mandi (Larissa's friend), Amy (my roommate), and Holly (from next door.) It was an interesting group. We skipped our way to the fieldhouse, and we were all feeling pretty giddy and silly about the game. Until we saw the other team. 6 girls, with their hair all slicked back in high pony tails. Their nicely fitted basketball shirts. (whoa, I left the "r" out of that word the first time... that could have been bad) Their button-up pants that covered their fancy basketball shorts. And their feet: fancy, expensive-looking michael jordan-ish sneakers. Ok. So these girls were serious. I suddenly felt very inadequate in my old every-day use sneakers and my disneyland t-shirt.
It's alright, no big deal. "I'll intimidate them with my fancy pink striped knee socks!" says Holly. Fine. We're already feeling a little discouraged, but trying to get excited again as we walk over for the pre-game. And that's when the other team stood up. (they had previously been sitting on the ground.) And that's when we realized the average height of their players was about 6" taller than any of ours. And that's when we realized just how much trouble we were in.
It didn't take long for the other team to take a quick (and very large) lead. Our team was more of a "church basketball" conglomerate, while the other team had this "high-school team reunion" aura to it. Fabulous. They were winning by a very wide margin, and refused to let up even a little. They continued to intercept every pass, and dominate every rebound opportunity. It was annoying. Seriously. Go ahead. Please steal the ball from us, and run down as fast as you can, and make a smooth lay-up while half our team is still on the other side of the court wondering what happened. Please. Because you're not winning by enough points yet.
What was the final score, you ask?! How many points do you think we lost by? Hmmm... I don't know- you're thinking... maybe 30? Maybe 40 if it was really bad. Oh, you'd be wrong. We lost by (are you sitting down?) 68 points. We got our butts kicked- 76-8. Yes, that's 8 points we made in 40 minutes of play.
Oy. I'm happy to play again, but it's not exactly fun to have a team just pummel you like that-- for no good reason too! I mean really- they knew they were going to win-- they didn't have to keep rubbing it in our face.
Anyway. I woke up surprisingly unsore from that game, so I am happy. Even if we did lose. By a lot.
Will came over today-- I'll have to write about his cuteness some other time.
I don't have much else to say, other than that I started my morning off with a blueberry-cheese puff pastry, and life is good again (: Although, I still think the vending machines are winning our war. They even found a way to lure me to their dark side and then steal $3-4 out of me for the past three days. Hmmm. Yes, I think they're winning.
I'm going to bed now! Tomorrow (well technically today) is FRIDAY!!! and I have two classes! and then it's the long-awaited WEEKEND!!!
(NOTE: contrary to my last post's classification, those exclamation points DO mean I'm very excited!)
until again,
mollie
No comments:
Post a Comment