Hello there ladies and germs...
(I always used to think that greeting from my elementary school teachers was so juvenile-- and never laughed. but... it kind of rolls off your tongue...)
Anyway. In about 10 minutes I have to walk down to the Cannon Center to meet with a couple students, so I'll try to make this short-- or I'll try to cram as much as I can into 10 minutes.
I can't really think of much to say. Monday was a day off, which was great. I can't remember doing anything productive, which means it was a successful day off :) On Tuesday we had Monday classes, which was fine because by the end of the day, I was so excited that the next day wasn't Tuesday. (If that makes sense...)
Kent and Kyle came over and decided they were going to go see Enchanted at the $1 Theater. (It was bargain night, so we got in for 75 cents. Can you believe the Dollar Theater has bargain night??) So we went and saw that. I thought it was alright. I wasn't hugely crazy about it. A little too... corny? for me. I can't think of the right word. But it was fine. I'd probably watch it again, but probably not too many more times after that.
We came back to my apartment and hung around and talked for a while.
I went to bed with my head feeling funny and right as I was drifting off to sleep, I was trying to decide what the feeling was, and decided it's that feeling you get when you're sick and you're light-headed all the time. That's how I felt. So I was worried I'd wake up sick on Wednesday.
Indeed, I did wake up feeling a little gross. My trusty thermometer (of which I have two) told me I had a fever, but I wasn't sure how accurate it was. So I got up and got dressed and packed my lunch and headed off to class. A lot of things were aching though, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go. My head felt a little better than the night before, but I was still feeling kind of weird.
So I went to Anthropology and fell asleep because I couldn't be awake. And then when I woke up, I decided that I wasn't feeling better and that I might as well go home and sleep instead of just migrating from one class to the next to take another 50 minute nap. I walked home and slept for about 7 hours, hoping to stave off illness.
I think it worked-- I woke up today feeling quite better-- except for a lingering sore throat. But I'm almost thinking it'd be healthier to stay at home-- to bad all my classes are on campus where all the sicklings come, with reckless abandon, to spread their germs. Honestly? There are 8 people in the Freshman Academy office right now, and I think 5 of them are sick. Yum yum. Not that I blame them particularly, but... eww.
So I got to my English class this morning and my professor said there'd been an earthquake. In Nevada. At about 7:15 this morning. Where was I at 7:15 this morning? In the shower. I did not feel an earthquake. I was almost sad, because I've never felt one before, but mostly not because the idea of feeling the solid ground become all mobile under your feet is probably very disconcerting. And if you know me, you know that I worry irrationally about natural disasters. Which is one of my reasons for wanting to live in CT. No earthquakes. No tornadoes. Occasionally there's a hurricane, but that's about it. And I think I can handle a hurricane.
They say Utah is way overdue for a big earthquake and every once in a while I think about it and it makes me nervous. I don't want to be here when it happens. The one that happened this morning was a 6.0-- which is fairly big. And people in SLC (an hour away from me and about 2 hours away from the epicenter) said pictures fell off their walls and everything from the shock they felt. Earthquakes are scary. I think I need to write a letter: "Dear God. Please keep the earthquakes far enough away from me that I don't feel them and they don't kill me or anything. Thanks. Mollie."
Anyway. That's about all I have to say for the day. Oh! And, I wrote my first critical analysis English paper last week. I'm not very outspoken in that class, partly because it's 8 am and partly because there are other people who dominate the conversation that I don't feel like fighting with, and partly because when I have raised my hand, I haven't gotten called on, so I tend to not bother unless I really really want to speak. Anyway. My point was, I'm not really a "star" in the class. She handed them back with a warning speech about how BYU students are so focused on the grade and a lot of people have probably never gotten anything but As in their life and how she can help us get up to that point, but we might have a ways to go.
I got my paper back (which wasn't my best work, which makes me feel a bit guilty) and got a 92. I was pretty darn excited. First, because of her "not-everyone-gets-As" speech, and second, because it wasn't my best work. Imagine what kind of score I can get if I put in my best effort. Hurrah. I know it sounds really bad/arrogant/proud, but ... I've never really had to work my butt off for an A in an English class. I guess I should make myself work harder so I can be really good at it. Maybe this class will motivate me. But it is kind of hard when work that isn't your best earns you an A in the class...
Anyway. Well, I better be off to meet with my students.
Hope you're all having a lovely day-- sorry, no pictures with this post.
Laterrrr
mollie
2 comments:
"...it'd be healthier to stay at home-- to bad all my classes are on campus..."
Ahem... "TO bad"?
And you call yourself an English Minor...
i actually was reading over my post on campus and thought "oh crap i have to change that before someone reads it and thinks i'm too literarily incompetent to know the difference between "to" and "too"...
and i didn't get around to it.
thanks for pointing it out though-- you better be careful about your posts-- i'm gonna be on the look-out.
Post a Comment