Well, today I went to orientation and a happy hour reception and then to FHE at the church building here. It's really quiet in the neighborhood tonight and the rain has let up a little. I keep hearing a humming noise, sort of like a low-flying plane. Is that possible?
Anyway. I know you all want to know how my first day was.
I walked home around 6 pm in the rain, without my umbrella. My feet hurt and I was tired, but I was smiling. Despite the awkwardness of meeting new people and trying to remember names, orientation made me want to take every class, meet every professor, work on every research project, and change the world of education, even though that's naively idealistic. The HGSE motto is "impact the world". It just made everything real to me- all the things I'd read online about the program, through applying and being accepted, became real today. All the names signed at the bottom of emails, all the course descriptions. Their unique approach to adolescent risk and prevention and prevention science and practice really stood out to me. This is a program that is distinctly different from any of the others I applied to, which is why I wanted to come here so badly.
I have known this was the program for me and this is where I'm supposed to be, and that was very much reinforced for me today. It is wicked expensive, and it will be hard work, and I will probably complain, but it is just perfect for me and I am going to bed happy.
More orientation tomorrow from 9-2.
-mollie
1 comment:
I'm glad you are loving school so far. Hopefully it stays that way and I will have a chance to come and visit you soon. I applied to 3 schools in Boston, SO I might be able to see you more than 3 times! :D
Post a Comment