So I posted the quick version of this story on facebook, but for those of you looking for more detail, or for those of you who don't facebook-stalk me (which I'm sure you all do- I mean, what else do you have to do with your time?) here is more detail.
This morning I had a meeting on campus with the other interns from MHS and our supervisor. I had arranged to have it there (I was incredibly excited about the lack of an hour commute) so I had to be on time. I got on the bus up where I live and took it into the square.
The scrolling sign over the bus windshield said "Route 78- Harvard Station" but inside, the electronic announcements were saying "Route 74- Service to Harvard Station" (There are 4 buses that go into Harvard station from where I am; the 78 and 74 are two of them. It was odd the signs didn't match.)
Anyway. Every time someone got off the bus, the bus driver said, "Thank you, have a good day!" He was a portly older man with silver hair. I thought he was friendly.
The bus drove into Harvard Station. Knowing I had some extra time and the bus makes a big loop, I thought I'd just stay on to get closer to where I wanted to be. (See, the bus route is more like a needle. Most of the route is the long skinny part, but I wanted to be on one side of the eye, and we had just driven around the other.) I have only ever taken the bus into or out of Harvard Station. I have never stayed on to see the mysterious black deep that the bus somehow navigates to get to one floor to drop people off and another floor to pick them up. I was curious. And lazy. So today was my day. I had a little extra time and thought the bus driver was friendly, so I walked up and asked him if I could stay on and get off at such-and-such street.
He said,"I suppose." I thought he was being funny and sat down in the first row of seats, with my chocolate chip bread for the meeting and my feet dangling happily above the floor. He asked to verify where I was going, so I told him again.
We drove out of the bus port further away from where I needed to be. I figured the "eye of the needle" was simply bigger than I thought.
Having only seen this part of Cambridge on foot, I was enjoying the quicker navigation. Until he was stopped in traffic. He looked in the mirror and said, "You're out of control. You have to get off." I gave a courtesy laugh. And then he opened the door to the bus and I realized he was not joking.
So he dumped me out, there in the middle of traffic, calling after me, "Have a good day!"
... I got to the curb and looked around to notice if anyone else was as confused as I was. What just happened? I think I just got kicked off a city bus. I DID just get kicked off a city bus! WHAT!? I didn't even do anything! Ahh! I have a meeting to get to. Start walking.
I had to walk about 15 minutes to where I actually wanted to go, and I was late for my meeting (luckily my supervisor was late(r).)
Anyway. It was the most bizarre experience I've had on Boston public transportation yet, and that's really saying something. ...And now I'm a little scared to try to take the bus again tomorrow morning.
2 comments:
I feel a letter coming on.
I think you should call and ask to speak to a supervisor. Is the guy crazy or what? You have a bus pass so it's not like he could tell you you didn't pay to go that far or anything. You could ride the bus all day long if you wanted. And dropping you off in traffic? Were there other people on the bus? If there were you should have just said that wasn't your stop. If there weren't then you were probably right to distance yourself from him. He don't sound quite right.
Post a Comment