Well, this is sure to be my most interesting bus ride on the Peter Pan from Hartford to Boston.
First of all, they jacked up the prices for the holiday weekend, which is definitely highway robbery (and aptly named).
Second of all, I got to the station at 3:30 and my bus wasn't supposed to leave until 4:15. I walked out to check if the bus was already here and there was a massive line of people. The loudspeaker said "3.30 express to Boston. Gate 8." Knowing the Peter Pan policy, I could have gotten in line and if they had a spot, they would've let me on. But I thought, "No, I'll wait for my 4.15 and get a good seat." (I recently discovered the handicapped row, which has double the leg-room.)
So I went back inside and stood around. I asked the lady at the counter where the 4.15 bus would be leaving from, and she said gate 8, so I went back outside with some other people to wait. I have never boarded a bus more than 15 minutes before it was supposed to leave, so I was content.
People had no idea what was going on, so I finally asked the bus driver. He said "I'll take your ticket." I said, "But this is the 3.30 right?" He said, "You have a ticket for the 4.15." "Yes," I said. "Then I'll take your ticket," he said.
... so I asked again, "Is this the 3.30 bus?" to which he again replied, "You asked about the 4.15." Ok, very tall, balding foreign man, FINE I will get on your bus. It might be taking me to New York City, but whatever.
So I got on and found a (crappy) seat. I asked other people on the bus and they said they were waiting for the 3.30 and some were waiting for the 4.15. As far as we can tell, they just started filling busses around 3 and when one got full, they left. So they started another one. Whatever. I don't know what's going on- I just know finally Tall Man came back, sat down in his little seat, and off we went at 4.15. So I guess it was the 4.15 bus... loading 45 minutes early.
But it's sure to be interesting. There is someone somewhere with ethnic food that is SUPER fragrant (I packed my chinese leftovers under the bus because I didn't want to stink up the bus... apparently others do not feel such courtesy towards their 59 fellow passengers). Something on the bus is whistling like a teapot. And there are two girls behind me who keep kicking my seat and are legitimately drinking from beer bottles in brown paper bags, and cursing. Really? Really?
Ok. Best go look at the road lest I barf.
p.s.- I did all my reading for classes up until next Monday, which I'm telling you because it rarely happens and I think I deserve bonus points.
UPDATE: We got to Boston in 1:45 (so the driver was clearly speeding...) and I went to go home by getting on the subway (T) and then another bus. But the T was delayed because of a police investigation at one of the stations between me and home. Mom (and the nightly news) told me there was a stabbing at 5 pm in the station.
No comments:
Post a Comment