Thursday, April 07, 2011

Unbelievable.

So...

The big H (lest anyone google it and happen upon my lowly blog, which I'm pretty sure is highly unlikely, but whatever) sent out their financial aid awards last week to the newly admitted students. This week, all I've done is spend time filing the letters that come in from students who want more money. It's not a bad idea in and of itself, so I don't mind.

But... today I happened across a letter from a mother who was soliciting extra financial aid for her son because he got accepted to Yale, Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Princeton, MIT etc. etc. The mother outlined all the financial aid packages from the other schools. [edited] A girl I go to school with was an undergrad at H. and she said, "Yeah the hard thing was being an undergrad. here- a lot of the kids you're in class with have already published books, or they've traveled around the world doing humanitarian aid work. It's intimidating."

I really thought those kinds of application essays were urban legends, but apparently they exist. And kids are really doing these things, on their parents' dime and errand no doubt, in hopes of securing their spots in Ivy League schools. And I guess I better get used to it if I'm going to be a school counselor.

But really, what is the world coming to?

2 comments:

P.Fro said...

Mollie, I think I talked to this kids mom at Freshman Academy. "My son has solved cancer... My son have figured out how to turn dirt in to solid gold." He was pretty good, no wonder he got in to BYU and then transferred to the big "H". Hope things are going well.

kemp. said...

I'm intimitdated just reading about them, much less actually meeting these kids!