So, as some of you know, my continuation at H next year means that I end one program, get a master's degree at graduation, start a new program (though my courses will be chosen from the same list both years), and graduate next year with a CAS (certificate of advanced study) and a counseling license.
This also means my internship at MHS ends and I have to find a new internship for next year. Last year, we didn't get internships until we got here (obviously), so we started working at the sites at the end of September. This year, we're looking and shamelessly advertising ourselves right now in hopes of landing internships for next year, so we can start when they do- which is usually before classes at H start.
So about 10 days ago, I had an interview at a school in Cambridge; I was originally attracted to it because it's small (500 kids vs. MHS 1800) and closer to where I live (a 20 minute walk vs. a 60 minute bus+subway+walk to MHS). It is a private school, where tuition for a year is $36,000. (Whoa.)
Anyway. I had an interview there and thought it went well, and then didn't hear anything for 9 days. Yesterday the guy (who also happens to be in my Moral Adults/Moral Children class, but attends lecture on a different day) sent me an email and asked if he could call me today with some follow-up questions.
I was really hoping his follow-up questions consisted of, "What days can you work?" and "Would you be happy if I offered you an internship here?"
I was waiting all morning for him to call, which he finally did. He said in his section of Moral Adults/Moral Children, his class got talking about BYU's Honor Code and Brandon Davies (of course). He said he remembered that I went there, and wanted to know why I chose to go to school there and what I thought of the Honor Code. Of all the things floating around in my head as possible topics for our discussion, BYU and the Honor Code did not cross my mind even once. Not even for a split second.
So... after trying to recover from being shocked by his question, I struggled through an answer. After that, he asked me how I felt my own beliefs and morals influence my work with students in counseling relationships. Holy smokes.
Luckily, and partly because of my LDS Perspectives Class at BYU, I must have said something right, because after that, he said "Well, it was great to meet you, and everyone I talked to had great things to say about you. I think you'd be a good fit here, but I need to verify that with our headmaster and I'll let you know by the end of the week."
... I got off the phone and felt like I needed to take a nap. That conversation was exhausting.
Also, I might need emergency wisdom tooth extraction in the next week or so. I went to bed with pain and woke up with it; unlike my other wisdom tooth pain, this doesn't feel like it will go away soon. So that will be fun.
Also, I have a date on Thursday night.
The end.
4 comments:
You're amazing! I've heard of a couple of people having job interviews and all that came up was byu/brandon davies stuff. too funny - and a good missionary opportunity.
Good luck! (with getting the internship and your date)
I really hope you get to have your wisdom teeth out right at the end of a semester - it is pretty fantastic.
I think it's funny you're selling yourself to a school with a "headmaster". Tehehe. It sounds so pretentious.
Hope your date is nice. And rich.
So what did you say? That you would tell any student who didn't live by BYU's honor code that they would burn in hell? Why does it seem like having high standards often works against you in today's world? I hope it all turns out good. Hopefully the headmaster isn't gay. If so, he might not think well of Mormons.
YAY!!!! I'm so happy that you're getting the job! I knew that you would.
Sorry about your wisdom teeth, but at least you have a date! Is it with the boy we've been talking about?
PS I'll probably find out where I'll be next year at the beginning of May.
PPS I need to talk to you and catch you up on what's gone down since the last time I saw you...
Post a Comment