Friday, April 13, 2012

can't sleep.

I told you I only post when things annoy me, and I tried to suppress it, but I can't.

I have roommates who are friends with a group of people that came over tonight. They proceeded to stand on our front deck, while being obnoxiously loud. I have to be up at 6.30 am tomorrow. It's almost 11. I can't sleep. I went out to go to the bathroom and the house reeks of cigarette smoke. I didn't know they're out there smoking/drinking with the screen door open. I am not ok with this. I am so not ok with it that I went up and asked one of them (as politely as I could) to close the door. They looked at me "Mean Girls"-style when you can tell Regina thinks someone is disgusting, but they did close it. And now the chatter continues on the porch.

I am kind of hoping our neighbors with small children will call the police for noise, because I would if it wouldn't be obvious that I was the one that did it. It annoys me 1) because cigarette smoke and noise are not my thing, which I realize is a personal preference, but also 2) we do not live in a trashy college neighborhood, and it annoys me that our neighbors are all probably also annoyed.

You know our neighbors right now are going "This neighborhood is going to pot with that rental house on the street..." I guess it annoys me because it's so cliche-- "young 20-somethings who think they're so cool" that they shouldn't have to follow standard rules of politeness.

Ok. Rant over. I really need to get to sleep. And I'll probably delete this post in a week when I decide I was being a little too grumpy. But seriously; I almost left to stay at Anne's when I smelled the smoke. And I am serious enough about it that I want to say something to my roommates, but I don't know what I'd say beyond "You guys are being inconsiderate and I don't like cigarette smoke" which would make me look like a jerk. So whatever.

2 comments:

ottspot said...

Here is what you say "Hey girls when I got home earlier today ___ neighbor caught me on the way in and complained about how loud it was the other night and how they could smell smoke coming in their window which is obviously very unhealthy for little kids. They threatened to call the police. I apologized for you but thought you should know." Even better go knock on the neighbor's door, apologize, ask them to kindly call the police and complain if it happens again, and then have the aforementioned conversation with roommates.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't your landlord have rules against smoking?