Friday, July 24, 2009

graduate school update

So... I had the day off today. (Caution: This is going to be another short post...)

I spent it sleeping in, first of all, which was wonderful.
Then I got up, took a shower, and waited for Erin to take a shower so we could go to lunch.
(At Burger King- for the toys. For her children.)
Then I went to Erin's for a little while, played with Will, and read the boys a story.
Then I came back to the apartment and started looking up graduate schools and programs- thanks to my co-worker Patrick, who gave me the idea to create an Excel spreadsheet of all the critical information about each program.
I filled out the spreadsheet for 5-6 different schools, some out East, some here, and then got bored.
Then I watched some West Wing and studied math for the GRE, thanks to my cousin Liz who brought me her old books.

Now I'm bored, which I suppose is OK because I would be going to bed shortly on a regular night, so I will probably be moving in that direction soon.

Oh yes, and I also hiked "The Y" for FHE on Monday, and convinced my boss to take us to Arby's on Wednesday.

Tomorrow I need to write a talk (I got asked to speak at church on Sunday- about managing our finances and avoiding debt. Oh joy. It's sure to keep everyone on the edge of their seats!) and run some errands.

Anyway, today was not a total loss; I think I found my dream graduate school and program. They tell you to pick a "reach" school/program... well, I did. I am not telling anyone what it is, so as to avoid jinxing it. Also, this way no one can say "You want to go where?! Hah, yeah right!" Also, if I DO apply and then get rejected, I won't have to tell anyone. So, if you're wondering what it is, you'll just have to keep wondering. Or read my journal. But I'd prefer if you didn't do the latter.

I also found 3-4 other programs I will probably apply to. So yay for me.

Can you believe I have absolutely no inkling of an idea as to where I'm going to be a year from now? Where I'll live, where I'll be going to school, what I'll be studying, where I'll be working? I can't. And sometimes it makes me want to barf.

the end.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it's Yale, Sister Caldwell-Andrews studied there and could probably give you some tips. Here's what she told me some time ago: She has massive debt from the experience and plan on it taking 7 years to get a PhD.
It may be a little scary not knowing the future, but you don't have to go anywhere you don't want. You're in control. Enjoy the adventure.

My word verification word is "wings" which seems apt for the post. You have 'em -enjoy using them!

Sean said...

Go Mollie go! Go for it and dream big! That's what I did and I was thoroughly pleased with my MCAT score. Hopefully we will be near each other after we graduate this coming year...

PS I haven't seen you in ages and I feel like this must be remedied soon!

Megan Busath said...

I think you should go to whichever school allows you to be closest to your favorite twin sister.

Anonymous said...

Well, Yale would be pretty close to Megan when she and Chad are living in our basement.

mollie said...

Oh... Megan just got dissed by MOM... in a blog comment. Ouch!

ottspot said...

Oh and Mom has been all supportive-blog-commenty lately. It couldn't last. And I was pretty sure that in a year you'd be in the mother-in-law apt of my new house working as our live-in nanny. No?

Anonymous said...

Excuse me?! I did NOT diss Megan. She already volunteered to come live in our basement and I just want them to know they are welcome to come. I'm even planning on it. She's always been pretty much my favorite daughter.

Megan Busath said...

HA! I'm mom's favorite daughter... (I'm sure that's only second to Erin though, that's why she wrote "pretty much")