Wednesday, October 28, 2009

random things.

update 1) I still have not found my checkbooks. I have resorted to using another checkbook out of storage, so they will be out of order. This irks me every time I write a check.

update 2) For my taught-by-a-grad-student-who-lets-us-teach-ourselves class, we had to write a paper. About psychological contracts. Which is a term that isn't in our book. Basically it's the idea that when you get hired as an employee, you have expectations for the job and your experience at that company. When those expectations aren't met, there's a breach in the "psychological contract" often causing people to quit etc. Well, our assignment was to find a journal article about psychological contracts and how they affect the relationships between employees and employers. I found an article that talked about how a breach of contract is related to feelings of violation and revenge which are related to deviant workplace behaviors. Pretty much saying if a company doesn't do what an employee thinks it will, the employee is less likely or willing to follow rules/protocol etc.

I wrote the paper, and thought "Man, if I needed a bunch of information on this, I wish I could just collect all our papers." And then I wondered about why he chose a term that wasn't in the book anywhere. And then, I went to class. Some point in the discussion about our papers, our grad-student-professor said, "When I was in a social psych. class, we came across this term and I just found it so interesting, which is why I've decided to do my thesis on it."

Hold the phone.

You're telling me we just wrote your lit. review for your thesis??? Are you serious?! So LAME.

update 3) I got free tickets to a play tonight through Freshman Academy, so my roommate and I are going.

update 4) I had to grade papers for my FA students this week, and they're all disappointed in the scores. But we were told to be harsh to push them to do their best work. I think we pushed them into learned helplessness. I feel so bad. :( Hopefully they don't hate us too much.

update 5) My boss at FA is currently working her networks to line up an internship for me for winter semester. I only have 5 credits of classes left to take, so an internship would fill a void in my schedule.

update 6) I registered for classes last night. I now have Intro to Social Psych, Floral Design, Bowling, Judaism and the Gospel, and University Band on my schedule. Yippeee.

ok, the end.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some fun classes. Did you get Mondays off?

mollie said...

Mondays AND Fridays!!!

Megan Busath said...

holy crap you suck!

you're last semester you're taking throw away classes and my last semester I'm taking 40 hours a week of student teaching?!

... LAME.

p.s. we will have to go bowling sometime next semester and compare skills. ... also, I will expect flowers anytime I see you.

ottspot said...

Umm...I think I would be e-mailing the department chair about the "this isn't in the curriculum, but thinks for researching my thesis for me" homework assignment.

ottspot said...

thanks*
I can't type apparently.