Friends,
I have not been up to much- just trying to keep myself on top of readings and school work. I have been taking lots of tests (it feels like) and studying less than last year, but feeling more busy. How is that possible?
Anyway- as some of you know, I am taking SLF 260- Family Finance because I feel like I am painfully naive about a) taxes b) life insurance c) mutual funds, bonds, credit cards, etc etc etc. It is a large class (about 150) and about 2 times a week, I get emails asking for notes from class. Now, the class comes with a spiral-bound notebook and the professor gives lectures on the information in the workbook. If you read the workbook, you probably wouldn't "need" to go to class. There's also a TA lab that's open the majority of each day where people can sit down with you and go over class material. But alas, the emails keep coming.
Well, last week, a one "Lyndsey Gaskins" sent this email: "Okay, for all people who are sending out emails about getting notes from people it really needs to stop. We're all adults, be responsible and get to know one of your neighbors in class, tell them you are going to be out of town, or come back when you are feeling better after being sick, and ask them to borrow their notes. I am not trying to be rude, but like many others I'm sure, I have six classes so I get about six or seven emails a day, so if you could please refrain it'd be much appreciated. Thanks and have a good day."
Wow, I thought. She has some nerve sending that email. But finally, someone willing to suggest that people STOP sending mass emails to the entire class whenever they need something. Good.
Then, about 2 hours later, I got this one from "Annie Heinitz": While we have all read many respectful requests to cut down on individual note requests, I'm just wondering how difficult it is for one to simply delete an unread message when it is of no concern to them? I don't mean to cause offense, but who are we to judge another's situation? We don't know if they have classes far away from each other and are pregnant, thus they are late getting into class, which would not allow them an appropriate opportunity to 'get to know' another student, whom they would ask for notes from. Or, what if a student was unexpectedly diagnosed with H1N1 (swine flu)? These students are asked to not come to class while they are contagious, and in many cases contagiousness has lasted over a week. These ill students will automatically fall behind and should not be penalized for missing class because of their illness. Shouldn't we be grateful that they are staying home and stopping the spread of the flu? My point is, that we are all in this stage of life together, what ever happened to giving your fellow student the benefit of the doubt, and helping them out when they needed it? We are in no place to judge, so either help your classmate out, or just click your delete button.
And then I thought me and Annie would not be friends. Because honestly? If I missed class, I would never EVER think about sending a mass email asking for some stranger to send me their notes. And I honestly think the people who do are those that don't have friends in the class... maybe because they never go? Even if someone WAS sick, they could go to the TAs for help, or when they got back, they could simply sit next to someone and say "Hey, do you happen to have notes from the other day?" But I am tempted to believe that the type of people who send mass emails are not the type of people who go to class on a more regular basis. I tend to think the people who send mass emails are the people who are too lazy to go to the TA lab, and are also the type of people to copy your math homework. I had half a mind to send another email asking that everyone simply SHUT UP to save the rest of us from the ridiculousness.
But it just kept going! I got this email from "Jair Hernandez" :
Here are my notes for Monday:
He talked about life insurance from the workbook. HW due on Friday.
Pg 158-161
Notes for Wednesday:
He talked about life insurance and told jokes.
Pg 160-161, 164-166
I think this email got the point across: the lecture comes from the text. Stop whining.
Maybe finally the issue was settled?
Nope, yesterday I got this one from "Quentin Hunt": I would just like to second my disgust at the emails number of emails I receive.
I am a full time student as well and with all the emails I receive it sometimes is difficult to not accidentally delete one of your emails requesting notes along with the 15+ emails I get selling me cIaLis or some other way to increase my manhood.
Inappropriate. These actions must stop! We're all adults--so leave me alone.
I have never bothered to use the filters on my email account because they just confuse me. It is therefore your responsibility to fix my problem for me.
It's time that you all grow up.
P.S. Please forgive my sardonic ways. It's a blessing... and a curse.
... He apparently thought he was just too funny to keep his comments to himself.
And finally, another one yesterday afternoon: Personally I love the emails I get from the class. Keep them coming!
Ok. Seriously, stop with the emails already!! Take your stupid arguments to the Daily Universe op-ed page please. That is what it's there for, after all. Then you can join the ranks of the people who argue back in forth about co-ed camping, bringing babies to movie theaters, girls wearing clothes that expose their clavicles, the condemnation of caffeine drinkers to hell, and other such nonsense that could only happen at BYU. I purposely choose not to read the Daily Universe to avoid such discussions- I do not need it in my inbox.
Ok. I'm done now. And now I can delete the emails from my inbox.
The end.
1 comment:
Oh Mollie, Mollie, Mollie, you're such a Dickerson.
Post a Comment