Well, I had my PhD interview today.
I was nervous, but my boss kept telling me not to worry about it. So I tried not to. It started perfectly harmless. We all introduced ourselves (there were 20 of us) to the faculty. I did not realize they had 65 applicants, so I'm happy I made it to the "top 20". I was the youngest one there- everyone else had at least one year between them and college graduation. I think there was one girl who graduated in December. And, for any of you recent BYU-ites, Matt Meese of Divine Comedy was there, which made me want to laugh out loud quite a few times- not because he was so funny, but because he seemed so out of place there.
Then we were split basically into groups of 4 and rotated to different activities. We got our pictures taken, had 2 interviews (15 minutes each) with different sets of 3 faculty members. They asked me what I was interested in, etc. I think I did well in the interviews, but I said I wanted to work in education or something related to that, and I think they ignored everything after that. Either way, it was obvious they didn't think this program was good for someone who wanted to work in education, even though the Ed. Psych. people told me I shouldn't apply to their program either. So... whatever. I guess I was supposed to say I want to work in private practice. But I don't.
We also had a writing assignment where they gave us 30 minutes on a computer and asked us to write about an issue or question in psychology, why it was important, and how to fix it. I think I did well on the writing as well- I'm pretty good at writing on the fly.
The last thing was a group assignment. They gave us a scenario- they said we were the admission's board for this program, and we needed to decide how to assess applicants and what to do about affirmative action. Then they sit and watch what you talk about. (LAME group activity if you ask me.) Then they interrupted us and said "Ok, we have to interrupt because there's a suicidal student across campus and you, as the board, need to deal with it. What do you do?" (Also LAME.) I just hate the whole "group" thing. There was one girl who commented at the beginning (before faculty got there) how awkward these things are because "everyone's trying to fight to say something intelligent." Well, she would NOT stop talking. I said a couple good things, but it wasn't the strength of my performance today.
Anyway. So that was the whole thing. At the end they got us all together and said they'll be accepting 6 of us, so I have about a 1 in 4 chance, and they'll notify us by the end of next week. I do not expect to be accepted, and I would not be heartbroken if I was not. But part of the issue is that my boss (who was once a faculty member in this PhD program) really wants me to get in because she doesn't want me to leave, and thinks I should get a PhD, so she mentioned putting a word in for me with the current program faculty, which puts undue stress on them and me, though I am very grateful for her support.
Anyway. It was the only PhD program I applied to, on a whim, to see if I could get in. I made it to the "top 20" and I am satisfied regardless of whether or not I get accepted. My heart is not invested in this program (like it is in some others), though it would be a great opportunity. If nothing else, the whole experience made me realize I feel much more comfortable starting a 1-2 year master's program right now than a 5 year PhD. So, here's hoping I get accepted to some of the Master's programs I have applied to.
And, Dr. Dickerson? Not just yet.
-mollie
No comments:
Post a Comment