Tuesday, September 16, 2008

If I Had a Dollar for Every Page...

Hello there!

I don't have much to say right now, except that living off of $40 (from selling a book to someone on campus) for two weeks has been an adventure and I am excited to be getting my new debit card.

This week has been busy, and it's only tuesday night! I am hoping to get to bed at a reasonable hour, so I will try to make this short.

First of all, I have really been missing London lately. It's so sad to look at my pictures and wish I was still there. I want to go back! Maybe someday I will...

Second of all, I have been trying really hard to be a good student this semester. This means doing everything well in advance and doing all my reading so I am prepared for class and participating in discussion and taking good notes. Not that I wasn't a good student before, I just wasn't as... zealous. Anyway. So I have been trying really hard- and to get to bed on time and wake up early enough that I can take my time getting ready and not rush out the door like I usually do in the mornings (I am not a morning person) and to make my lunches and not buy junk food.

All this has been going well, though having no money may have thrown a wrench into that plan. But for the most part, it has been going well. As part of this endeavor, as I said, I have been doing all my reading. That's right, I said all my reading. I know that most college students (and one of my professors) will say that college reading assignments are not meant to actually be read- there's no way to get it all done. Well, I can say (at least for my class load this semester) it can be done, it just might not be the most enjoyable thing to do. And working 20 hours a week on top of that makes it a little difficult.

Overall though, I have really actually enjoyed my readings. My psychology classes are really interesting, and my English class is reading the Iliad and that has been interesting too. Overall so far, I am finding that classes are infinitely more interesting when you know what the heck the professor is talking about for an hour (or in my case, 1.5 hours each for 3 classes out of 5...)

So, today, being curious and hoping to invoke pity, I decided to go on a quest (which involved no actual physical movement) to figure out just how many pages I've read so far. Now this count is no respecter of page size- that is, my psych textbooks are regular textbook size, while my copy of the Iliad is probably a 5" x 7" size-ish. I'm sure square footage of reading would be interesting to calculate too, but I'm not that nerdy.

So how many pages do you think I've read this semester? Keep in mind I'm taking a World Lit. class, a Psychology of Personality class, a(n) Adolescent Psychology class, a Marriage and Family class, and a Writing in the Social Sciences class. How many do you think? In 14 days of school? Seven hundred twenty-seven .

727 pages!!!

Holy smokes that's a lot. (I have found myself saying "holy smokes" a lot because "holy crap" is generally inappropriate around the three year old nephew.)



Can you believe it though?! That is a LOT of pages. Plus my 20 hours of work a week, and I'd say I'm pretty much booked.

Anyway- I just thought you should know just how hard I'm working. :P


Have a lovely evening,
... for those of you out of school, yours will be pleasantly textbook free.

-mollie

p.s.- My English class was MIA today. I could not find it anywhere. I went to 2 different classrooms on campus and then went back to the original one and still found no one. Hmmm...

p.p.s.- I have pictures of my room that I will post at some point.

p.p.p.s.- My roommates went to the Provo Temple on Sunday to take pictures. I was invited. So I went with them and we took pictures there. There were tons of missionaries hanging around so we recruited them to take the pictures. I got a missionary to take a few on my camera. Oh wait, no I didn't. He apparently didn't push the button down hard enough any of the times he was supposedly taking our picture, because I reviewed the pictures today and found... none. Humphf. Sorry to you. No pictures of the roommates yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are working so hard. If you keep it up, maybe you can qualify for a scholarship next year!
How could a class be MIA? No note on the door or any other kids hanging around trying to figure out what happened?