Thursday, September 04, 2008

Working Like a Dog

Hello there dear readers.

I'm bored, and I've finished my reading for tomorrow (hurrah!) so I've decided to give myself a little break, even though I should probably be starting reading for classes next week. Blah. Today I was on campus 9 hours, so it's getting a little better. Although, my last class gets out after 6 pm, and that's pretty late!! Work has been busy this week, but I start interviews with my students tomorrow and I'm kind of excited about it! Interviews are exhausting, but they are one of my favorite parts of the semester!

Anyway.

I was looking at my blog recently, and the wonders of Google showed me that someone recently found my blog by searching "blogspot mollie" on google. Being curious, I typed in that very phrase into google. I found my blog listed there on the first page, but then got so curious about all the other things that came up under the title "blogspot mollie" that I started looking around. And, the majority of them are about dogs. I didn't really realize that people write blogs about their dogs (or cats for that matter), but apparently they do! Seriously. I would say 75-80% of the websites that come up are speaking of a dog. I found one that said:
"Today we say goodbye to the 2nd largest pup in Mojo and Pazzy's litter, Mollie. She was born with a spot on her left upper lip, hence the name Mollie."

... what? "hence the name Mollie." ? What does that mean? Come to think of it, I have a spot on my left upper lip! (It's a freckle.) But really, I'm still not sure what that means.

Another site said Mollie is "the name of old ladies and puppies". Well, excuuuse me! I know I'm 20, but I didn't think that was "old" yet!

I found two jack russell terriers, one lab, one poodle mix, two bassett hounds, and one mutt named Mollie- and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head!

I found 2 blogs (in the first 5 pages of the google search) that talked about people Mollie's death... with a variety of Mollies being the subject there. That's depressing.

I found a Mollie who is, for some reason, spending three months in Rwanda (the why was unclear) and posting updates and pictures of all her escapades.

There were three Mollies who owned photography businesses.

There was one that said "Mollie is a variation of Mary. I've met a lot of Marys but not a lot of Mollies, though the name seems to be coming into its own popularity. I'm not sure why though, since it means 'sea of bitterness'." Sea of bitterness?! Megan means "Pearl"- don't think I haven't noticed. Sea of bitterness?! Seriously! I'm not a sea of bitterness!

ok... well, I'm not always...

Anyway. When I just google my name, I come up with lots of old cemetery/burial listings. Nothing really current. I guess there aren't too many famous Mollie Dickersons out there.

This whole thing reminds me of a story someone (Erin I think... but it could have been another family member) told me about my nephew Will (who is generally adorable by the way. But don't tell that to Erin- she's been cleaning stinky underwear lately...). She said there was a little boy outside and Will, as he is wont to do, went out and said hello and asked him his name. The little boy said his name was Will. And Will said "No, I'm Will!" and the other little boy kept insisting it was his name too. As the debate continued, Will just got more and more upset and started yelling "I'M WILL!" at the boy, apparently not understanding that two people could be named the same thing without endangering the existence of the other.

I'M MOLLIE!!!

So there. And to all you people who have dogs named Mollie, at least try to refrain from mentioning it to me if we ever happen to meet. This is usually what happens probably 60% of the time when I meet someone. "Hi, my name is Mollie." "Mollie?! Ohmigosh- my [grandma's/uncle's/best friend's boyfriend's/sister's/neighbor's] dog's name is Mollie!" ... Uhh... thanks? Woof? Not sure what to say to that.

This is the problem with giving animals people names. Or maybe giving people animal names? Anyway- I suppose our family isn't guilt-free either because we have a dog named Nikki, which I suppose could be construed as a people name. This reminds me of the time the way-too-touchy piano man came over to tune the piano. I was in high school and came home and was sitting down at the table to eat a snack. The piano man was sitting at the other end of the table and apparently got introduced to me and the dog at the same time. While I was sitting there eating my Chinese food, trying to look busy reading the newspaper, the piano man says "You're such a good girl Mollie! Such a good girl! Yes you are!" Not knowing what to say, I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and luckily saw that he was looking at the ground and that, yes, the dog was laying next to him and he was petting her.

So luckily he was not making such odd comments to me, but unfortunately there's no good way to fix that problem at that point. "Oh, actually the dog's name is Nikki." "Thanks for the praise, but most 17 yr. olds know how to use a fork..." My favorite part was when Mom called from the other room: "Mollie?!" ... what was I supposed to do then?!

Anyway.

I'm just rambling now, but I thought you should know because I'm a little bored. I might start posting things I've learned in my classes- be thankful I haven't gotten that desperate for material yet!

-mollie (not a dog).


*editor's note: I really don't mind if people tell me they know a dog with the name Mollie, but after they say it, I really don't know how to respond.

*editor's [second] note: despite all this, I do like my name.



1 comment:

ottspot said...

I believe the dog was probably lying next to the piano...unless she was laying an egg or something. Time to brush up on transitive/intransitive verbs (at least I think that's what they are called...hmmm...).