You should check out this website: abandonedbutnotforgotten.com.
It is a compilation of pictures people submitted of abandoned properties in all different states, countries, etc.
If you're like me, you'll while away the hours looking through all the cool pictures. There is something eerily enchanting about abandoned buildings. Especially the old Victorian style buildings. I find the mental hospital/insane asylum pictures especially interesting. The pictures of the abandoned parts of Connecticut Valley Hospital make me really want to trespass and see for myself when I'm home. How incredibly creepy would it be to be in a place like that at night? *Shudder*
Anyway, enjoy! I'm off to bed because my body has been conditioned to the routine 10:30 bedtime.
8 comments:
Interesting...but, man, that website is painful!
found your site via a google alert set up for "connecticut abandoned"
anywho, check out my site for similar stuff www.newenglandruins.com
Oh man. Look at the asylum and theater tabs on that site. Creeeeeepy. I don't know why the theater ones are so creepy but they are. I can't fathom why buildings become abandoned while there are still coffee cups sitting on counters or kids art pinned to walls. Totally creepy. I think the "stay calm" one on the asylum site is the worst one. Would seeing "Stay Calm" painted on the wall make anyone calm?!
Rob Dobi-
Your site is perhaps cooler than the one I mentioned in this post, and certainly easier to use. Thank you for sharing!
and Mollie...I believe one "wiles" away the hours rather than "whiling" them away.
Well, I looked up the lyrics to "If I Only Had A Brain" and it begins: "I could while away the hours conferring with the flowers..."
I stand corrected. I looked it up and the first seemingly credible site I came to said it was "wile"...which seemed kind of odd since according to merriam-websters it means "to entice or lure away". I checked some other sites which agree with "while".
The Courant ran a series of pictures of the abandoned CVH buildings a few years ago as a photo essay. It was very eerie. I thought the derelict swingset was one of the saddest pictures - to think of children in an insane asylum.
It is amazing how quickly things deteriorate once they are abandoned.
You would find the exhibits at Ellis Island interesting. They have (or at least used to) rooms you could tour where they processed the immigrants. I went there once on the first tour of the day and you could just feel the history there. I had the place nearly to myself because the ferry stops first at the Statue of Liberty and almost everyone got off before it went on to Ellis Island. It was great before the boatloads of school kids showed up who could not have cared less about the history there and just went shrieking through the place disturbing everyone else.
Post a Comment