So... I was on my way home from Erin's tonight, and was driving merrily along Geneva with dear Leonard, about to turn onto 820 N.
My merry radio-sing-along was interrupted by the flashing of lights behind me. I turned the corner. The lights turned with me. Oh... wait, like, me? I pulled over. Sure enough, so did the cop. And those lights are BRIGHT when reflected in your rearview and side mirrors.
So at this point, I turned off my radio, unbuckled my seatbelt and my heart started racing as I thought about all the things I was supposed to be doing. I grabbed my license out of my wallet, opened the glove compartment and rolled down my window and sat there like a good little girl. I was so ashamed of myself- all I could think of were all the people driving by looking at me and thinking "I wonder what she did!" like I do when I see someone pulled over. I promise I am a good little driver! I've never gotten a ticket or been in an accident!
As the cop was coming up to the car on the passenger side, I realized I had taken OFF my seatbelt in my anxiety-ridden state. Crap. Wait. Do I try to put it back on now? What if the cop thinks I wasn't wearing it all along?! I have to bend over to talk to him, so I guess I'll just leave it off.
He said "So, you've got a headlight out?" Without letting the shakiness of my nervous voice come out too much (lest he think I was about to burst into tears for sympathy), I said "Yes, sometimes it comes loose. I have to push it back in." I'm sure he thought I was making excuses to get out of a ticket, but he took my license and registration and went away. (By the way mom and dad, the registration in the car is apparently from 2008? He looked it up and found out it was still accurate, but still.)
He came back, gave me my license, and told me to get my headlight fixed ASAP.
I drove home, opened the hood, grabbed my flashlight from the trusty emergency kit I made a couple weeks ago, and promptly pushed it back on.
Lame. If only the cop could have seen me do it.
It was my very first time ever being pulled over by a cop. I know it's silly, but it scared me!
I need to go to bed now, but I'm waiting for my heart rate to go down.
The end.
1 comment:
You could have just said, "Oh, I didn't know. Sometimes it comes loose and then gotten out and fixed it right then and there. Sorry you had to do the sit of shame while people drove by and gawked at you.
Post a Comment