Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Defying Gravity and Dancing Through Life

So... most of you already know this, but today was the big day. The day I've been waiting for since ... forever.

I got my acceptance to Harvard.

If you're thinking "What? I didn't know she applied!" it's because I didn't tell anyone. Well, very few. Like 3 people. Because I was afraid to apply and deal with public rejection, so I kept it to myself.

Until today.

I got accepted at Harvard. Holy crap.

So here's more info on the program. It's a one year (sorry if I told you two years earlier. The details escaped me) Ed. M., Master's in Adolescent Risk and Prevention, with an optional second year School Counseling licensure, which is what I plan to do. There's a lot more than that, but there's info coming in the mail, and I'm too hyped up to sit down and read the website more.

To be honest, I got info. about it from a friend of one of my professors who went through the program a couple years ago. I read about the program on their website and fell in love and decided to apply. I didn't spend that much time bogged down in details like "Do they have jobs for you? Do they have housing? Are you on campus all day?" because I was really more worried about getting myself accepted, and didn't want to get too invested in all the details and be more disappointed when the rejection letter came.

But it didn't come. Because I got accepted to Harvard! I absolutely cannot believe it. I am excited, but I am very humbled. It would not have happened without divine intervention, and the support of my parents, sisters, past teachers, boss and friends. So thank you to you all for making this a possibility for me.

I'm off to eat ice cream and order a Harvard sweatshirt online.

-mollie

p.s.-So, my dad said "So I guess that's where you'll be." And... that sounds so final! I'm not sure it's sunk in enough yet for me to say "I'm GOING to Harvard"- I'm only to the point of saying "I got accepted at Harvard." But... knowing it's only a 1-2 year program, and with some short encouragements from my boss who said "Really mollie, you can't NOT go!", it looks like that's where I might be in the Fall. As I said, it hasn't sunk in enough to say I AM going there yet. That will come with time.

6 comments:

P.Fro said...

Congratulations Mollie. That is way awesome!

Meg said...

OH my goodness! That is amazing! Except that it's not such a big surprise, because you totally deserve to get accepted to Harvard! Congrats!

Megan Busath said...

*sigh*... oh man! now this makes me the twin that DIDN'T get into Harvard. But - to all you underestimaters out there - I didn't apply! so there!

But at least I can claim that my twin got accepted to Harvard. I feel so accomplished.

We owe you celebratory ice cream... or textbooks or something smarty-pants. Actually, I take back the textbooks. Those are probably wicked expensive.

Anonymous said...

Mollie, you need to get married really quick to someone poor so that you can apply for financial aid based on their income. I didn't realize when I told you not to bother with the FAFSA that you were planning to go to someplace that expensive! (I guess you could get married really quick to someone rich who could afford to pay your way, but those are harder to come by.)

Congratulations again! We are so happy for you!

ottspot said...

I love how Mom immediately goes to "Marry poor!"..."oh wait or you could marry rich." Well I guess it is a good thing Mom wasn't aiming to marry rich or we all wouldn't be here.

And I got in to the only graduate school I applied to. So there. And it would be best if someone married rich so they can take care of mom and dad. :-P

Anonymous said...

To Erin,

On Dad's behalf, I say "Ouch".